Apr 8, 2023
Georgetown, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi all,

So I’ve taken over maintenance for my parents pool this season. Done some light stuff before, but as far anything pool goes now it’s under my watch.

Used the SLAM guides to clear the soup early in the season, and other than waiting/light drain and fills to get CYA in check, it has behaved well with no signs of algae return.

Until this week. Maybe?

Hoping y’all can give me confirmation if this an algae issue again and if so, what kind and where to go from here.

Attached pics, some aren’t clear but I’m hoping these are rust/fertilizer spots.

Attachments

• 116AF4FB-BB22-4FDA-A76E-03DA1AD644D5.jpeg
    116AF4FB-BB22-4FDA-A76E-03DA1AD644D5.jpeg
    497.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 0178C6B6-5207-44FB-B4AB-DC15EA9464B6.jpeg
    0178C6B6-5207-44FB-B4AB-DC15EA9464B6.jpeg
    295.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 9BFA0186-D808-423A-AEB4-5BCE21DAF5EC.jpeg
    9BFA0186-D808-423A-AEB4-5BCE21DAF5EC.jpeg
    460.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 4E89F971-247D-4ACC-9AE2-9C6C25A98D17.jpeg
    4E89F971-247D-4ACC-9AE2-9C6C25A98D17.jpeg
    443.7 KB · Views: 7
Welcome to TFP! :wave: Those look like tannin stains from tree debris. When you did the SLAM Process, did you maintain the proper FC (SLAM) level until you passed all 3 SLAM criteria? If not, I would go back to the
SLAM Process and see it through. If you did pass all 3 SLAM criteria, then you may just need to maintain a slightly elevated FC level as noted on the FC/CYA Levels for the current CYA. It could take some time, coupled with consistent brushing, for those stains to fade away.

Also be sure to visit our Pool Care Basics for lots of great info.

Reactions: cbtx
Welcome to TFP! :wave: Those look like tannin stains from tree debris. When you did the SLAM Process, did you maintain the proper FC (SLAM) level until you passed all 3 SLAM criteria? If not, I would go back to the
SLAM Process and see it through. If you did pass all 3 SLAM criteria, then you may just need to maintain a slightly elevated FC level as noted on the FC/CYA Levels for the current CYA. It could take some time, coupled with consistent brushing, for those stains to fade away.

Also be sure to visit our Pool Care Basics for lots of great info.
Thanks for the reply!

At the time, I completed all 3 processes in the SLAM.

The tannin staining would make some sense; their is a large oak tree near the pool that contributes the majority of pool debris. Looks like you’re in SA, so I’m sure you’re familiar with all the oak flower/pollen/leaves/sticks, especially after the ice this year.

May try a tricolor puck scrub and stainless bristle to see if it lifts the stains or they act like black algae stains.

Appreciate the help again, especially since you’re familiar with our central Texas climate/issues.

Reactions: Texas Splash
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.