Algae or Another Big Problem?

I've maintained a minimum of 12FC for several days. WHen I brush the the bottom, I see just a tiny bit of algea in the finishing stroke of the brush.

Does dead algea float or sink?

Is dead algea still the same color or does it change?

I'll do an overnight test tonight.

I had virtually no dropoff overnight but did not keep it at 16 the entire time as CYA is 35. Rounding up to 40/16ppm would have been ideal.

If I did not have dropoff, should I be ok to allow it to go back to normal levels?

I had virtually no dropoff overnight but did not keep it at 16 the entire time as CYA is 35. Rounding up to 40/16ppm would have been ideal.

If I did not have dropoff, should I be ok to allow it to go back to normal levels?
Have you met all 3 criteria to finish a SLAM?

1) Pass an OCLT
2) CC is equal to or less than 0.5ppm
3) Water is clear, no visible algae, not even a slight poof when you brush.

Dom

SLAM - Now What??

I've been in the process of slamming my pool for the past few days. I passed the overnight test.

Does dead algae float or sink?
Can it come back to life?

Tonight will be the first time I've turned off the pump since beginning the SLAM. Do I need to add a classifier or FLOC or something else to make the dead algae rise or sink so that the filter or vacuum can take care of it?

I did not see that mentioned on the SLAM page.Thanks.

Re: SLAM - Now What??

So you need to leave the pump on to filter out all the dead algae. The dead cannot come back to life. It will slowly sink to the bottom for you to vacuum up. May take a week or two withe the pump running 24/7 to clear up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.