Algae on grout lines

FloridaPoolNewbie

Bronze Supporter
May 5, 2021
Florida
So I'm getting my pool back up and running and have noticed there is a lot of algae growing on the grout lines between the tiles (all above the water line). It will scrub off easily with a wire or still plastic brush but the grout is also breaking up and/or sanding off when I do this. It also takes a long Rear time. Considering just raising up the water level a bit and SLAM'ing and then maybe it'll soften up/die and I can just use the pool brush.

I know I'm going to have to repair grout and tiles soon, so what would you do?

That indicates you have not been brushing the pool enough and not brushing the tile and grout.

What type of grout was used?

Dilute some liquid chlorine 50/50 with water.
Put the mixture in a spray bottle.
Brush the areas lightly with a small scrub brush.
Spray the mixture directly onto the affected areas and let it sit for a while.
Brush lightly again.

Of course, wear safety glasses and an older swimsuit while doing this. And move slowly so as not to disturb or splash the pool water on the areas too much.
Might take you about 15-20 minutes based on your pool size.
If any of the mixture gets on you, just rinse off in the pool.

When done, dump any leftover mixture into the pool, rinse the spray bottle out well and also rinse the pump sprayer out well.

I have to do this once or twice a season. For me in AZ, it seems related to the high evaporation rates and the pool water wicking up the grout or pebble surface that is above the water line.

I'll be the first to admit, I do NOT brush my pool often enough. :whip::shark:

Dilute some liquid chlorine 50/50 with water.
Put the mixture in a spray bottle.
Brush the areas lightly with a small scrub brush.
Spray the mixture directly onto the affected areas and let it sit for a while.
Brush lightly again.

Of course, wear safety glasses and an older swimsuit while doing this. And move slowly so as not to disturb or splash the pool water on the areas too much.
Might take you about 15-20 minutes based on your pool size.
If any of the mixture gets on you, just rinse off in the pool.

When done, dump any leftover mixture into the pool, rinse the spray bottle out well and also rinse the pump sprayer out well.

I have to do this once or twice a season. For me in AZ, it seems related to the high evaporation rates and the pool water wicking up the grout or pebble surface that is above the water line.

I'll be the first to admit, I do NOT brush my pool often enough. :whip::shark:
Yeah, I initially tried that but it didn't break up the algae. much. Maybe I'll give it another shot.

Almost looks like brick material, somewhat porous...would a picture help?

No, can't identify the material from a picture.

Sounds like it was not high quality grout.

Just scrub the grout with a chlorine solution.

Yeah, I initially tried that but it didn't break up the algae. much. Maybe I'll give it another shot.
The initial light scrubbing is to break up the bio-film coating on the surface so the chlorine can get to the algae.
You may need to do it a few times to eradicate it - and then stay on top of it.

Brushing the pool more will certainly help.
Keeping the FC at or slightly above target, based on the FC/CYA Levels is also very important.

The initial light scrubbing is to break up the bio-film coating on the surface so the chlorine can get to the algae.
You may need to do it a few times to eradicate it - and then stay on top of it.

Brushing the pool more will certainly help.
Keeping the FC at or slightly above target, based on the FC/CYA Levels is also very important.
Yes, but this is all above the water line. Are you suggesting the chlorine matters when you brush and agitate the water up onto the wall?

When I brush - I brush all the way up to the coping. I make sure that area gets wet with pool water and scrub it to get any gunk off.

In my pool, pool water will wick up into the porous grout/pebble areas and the FC level will drop quickly, before the water evaporates and the area dries out again. And sometimes, a bit of algae above the waterline forms. Using chlorine in a spray bottle as I suggested above seems to take care of it. At least that's my theory and experience in my pool. YMMV

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.