**** Algae keeps coming back, I missed something...

Apr 19, 2014
Southern California
Hi guys - you all helped with me with the initial SLAM process a couple weeks back and it worked great. I passed the overnight, CC and eye-tests and thought I was good. I took apart the filter, gave it a good cleaning and got the flow I needed. But I can't seem to maintain the FC level and the algae keeps creeping back.

I'm going to SLAM again this week, not as bad as last time so it'll prob just take a couple days. I think I lost track of the importance of CYA, because I'm losing my FC level and can't keep up. I saw in POOL SCHOOL that the liquid is more expensive than the solid, but I want to make sure I understand the process right. First I SLAM, then I get my CYA up to 30-50, and I should be good in terms of protecting my FC levels, right?

I'll post my full test results in a little 'bit, but I wanted to get the thread going to make sure there isn't anything else I'm missing. I'm good on the SLAM process, more interested now on what to do after to maintain the levels I need to fight off our mutual enemy - that dreaded algae. Thanks for all the help!

I'm good on the SLAM process, more interested now on what to do after to maintain the levels I need to fight off our mutual enemy - that dreaded algae. Thanks for all the help!
Preventing algae is pretty simple: maintain adequate chlorine levels for your CYA and ensure circulation. If there are dead spots in the circulation, brushing will eliminate them.

Just did a test and I'm off across the board.

FC - zero
CC - zero
pH - 7.8
TA - 96PPM
CH - 450PPM
CYA - less than 30

Last time I SLAMMED I had a higher CYA, doesn't look I'll need as much bleach this time. And I'll need to backwash significantly to take care of the Calcium Hardness. But when all the SLAMMING is done, I'll need to get the CYA right... any suggestions on the liquid vs. solid stabilizer/conditioner?

Once I pass my SLAM test, in terms of steps to get to where the chemistry needs to be... is balance pH first, then CYA, then FC? or some other order? I couldn't find it anywhere on the site. Thanks.

Raise the CYA level first to somewhere between 30 and 50.

Don't worry too much about CH. Your level is a little high, but not a serious problem right at the moment.

There are instructions on how to SLAM your pool in the How To section of Pool School.

Looks like all my readings are good except for TA. Just recorded this morning:

FC - 7
CC - zero
pH - 7.6
TA - 220PPM
CH - 410PPM
CYA - 35

Should I work to reduce my TA? Pool math says to bring my pH down to 7.0-7.2 with acid then aerate to increase pH. What does "aerate" mean? Is my TA high enough to warrant going through those steps? CH doesn't seem to be a huge concern right now (plus my city is known for hard water so I don't know how low I can get it) so I feel like I'm almost to all the recommended levels... just need to confirm the TA. Thanks!

Thanks. Water looks good. Done SLAMming. Started on Tuesday and just passed all my tests this morning. Now that everything is in line, I'll get back to standard filter operation (4-5 hrs/day). Water looks clear, OCLT is good, etc.

I think last time I just lost track of my CYA which caused all my FC to burn up. Now I'm on top of it and everything looks to be in-line. I'm going to test every day this week just to make sure, but as long as TA takes care of itself I should be good. Loving TFP!

You are going to loose FC every day, no matter what. FC level is not something you work to get to the first time, and then forget it.

You have to continually test for and add chlorine maybe daily, maybe every 2 days, but you have to continaully add it. Thats what everyone means by "maintain".

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.