Algae Issues Seemingly Resolved But Still Cloudy

If it isn't a long way to drive it would be best to get it tested and then dump in the amount you need. It's also cheaper that way. "We" don't like using pool store numbers but you have to use what ya got.

The big thing is if you're dumping that much bleach in you are already doing a SLAM and it's best to keep doing it as otherwise if you let the FC drop it might all be a waste if the green gets a chance to come back.

You should have the kit early in the week. When you go to Leslie's for testing and they suggest something the easiest thing is to just say you still have some of "that" or you're pretty sure you do and need to check before you buy more. That line saved me more than enough money to buy my own kit !!

Be careful with the DE. It works great but if you have dirty water it can plug up the filter a lot faster than without.

- - - Updated - - -

They can't test it if it's high but as it gets eaten up by the stuff in your pool it's likely it's dropping. It will still tell you something and IMHO I'd rather have some idea where I'm at before I toss bottles of bleach into my pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Very true! Should I try redoing the test and see what my results yield? We were adding 3-4 bottles per day. According to the pool calculator we needed at least 9 bottles to get to a FC of 32 annnnnnd so we added 9 bottles Saturday, no more than 3-4 Sunday and maybe 1 today? I'd have to go to our shed to verify how many are left!

Looks speckled too. To save the FAS-DPD reagent, lets try to figure out a ballpark with the OTO test.

Try the OTO again with 1/4 pool water and 3/4 tap water (distilled or RO if you have it). Use one of the cylinders to estimate the ratios, mix it up and then pour it in the OTO test. We then need to multiple the result by 4 ... but i think it is still going to be off the scale.

I am not sure where you got the idea to add that much bleach everyday ... sorry about that.

Those floaters, and the color in the tube indicate that the TC is really, really high.

I purposefully raised the FC very high in a sample one time just to see if the test bleached out and the test looked just like yours.

I was afraid that might happen, and that's why I made my original suggestion of just adding 2 ppm of FC each day until you got your kit.

I wouldn't add anything else to the pool until the FC comes back down to a reasonable range.

Jenners,

I'd like to take a second to welcome you to the forum! Can you please post a full set of test results from the TF-100 before doing anything new? Include,
pH
CYA
TA
FC
CC

This will help us with your next step. Something weird is going on, now let's figure out what it is.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.