stevenrodriguez

Jan 12, 2022
Texas
Hey everyone I seem to have an algae problem that literally sprung up on me. I have had my chemicals balanced all summer with no issues and then all of a sudden boom I have algae. I am always very diligent about maintenance when it comes to my pool so I was baffled to see that I had an algae bloom.

Pool Specs:
Bestway Oval Above Ground Pool: 17x10x42
1hp Aquastrong Pump
12 inch intex sand filter
Hard Plumbed

Long story short after a few years my intex pump died and I replaced it with a larger pump. I knew that going this route that the filter was more than likely going to be too small for the pump and therefore I may have issues with filtration. I do not have an in depth testing kit just a basic kit that tests the ph and the chlorine levels. When this bloom started I triple shocked the pool and brushed the pool. 48 hours after shocking I vacuumed the pool and the water is still green. My chlorine levels are through the roof and my ph level is super high at the moment. My take is that after all this time my filter has finally failed and is no longer filtering correctly due to the power of the pump possibly breaking something in the filter. Just needing some insight here could it be my filter? Everything else seems to be working fine. I have good circulation and plenty of chlorine in the pool, but the algae just doesn't die. I am guessing my filter is no longer filtering correctly. Also, I took apart my sand filter and the laterals looked fine. The only thing I noticed was my sand level was super low so I added sand to it. If I did need a new filter would a 19inch be sufficient? Thanks for all of your advice!

Welcome to TFP! :wave: In 99.9% of cases, algae has nothing to do with the filter itself but everything to do with chemistry. At some point the FC level fell below a recommended corresponding level when compared to the CYA as noted on the FC/CYA Levels. You mentioned only having a basic test kit, so that's your issue at the moment. You really need a TF-series test kit (link in my signature) or a Taylor K-2006C test kit. With either one of those you can be assured to obtain accurate & reliable test results and make proper chemical decisions going forward. You'll then also be able to perform a SLAM Process to kill and remove algae.

If you have any questions about those test kits or the SLAM Process let us know.

Also see ----> Pool Care Basics

Welcome to TFP! :wave: In 99.9% of cases, algae has nothing to do with the filter itself but everything to do with chemistry. At some point the FC level fell below a recommended corresponding level when compared to the CYA as noted on the FC/CYA Levels. You mentioned only having a basic test kit, so that's your issue at the moment. You really need a TF-series test kit (link in my signature) or a Taylor K-2006C test kit. With either one of those you can be assured to obtain accurate & reliable test results and make proper chemical decisions going forward. You'll then also be able to perform a SLAM Process to kill and remove algae.

If you have any questions about those test kits or the SLAM Process let us know.

Also see ----> Pool Care Basics
Thanks for all the info I appreciate it! Glad to know that it is more than likely not my filter, but should I purchase a new filter in the future since I am running a 1hp pump? If so what size? I was thinking a 19inch.

should I purchase a new filter in the future
A 12" is small for sure. You would benefit from something closer to a 24". If your pump is a single speed, that's something else you might budget for down the road. See if you can get a variable speed, or at the very least a 2-speed so you can run it on low.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.