Clarksville
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Algae has crept in over the last week, even with acceptable FC, CC, pH, TA, CYA and salt levels.

We've had a lot of rain, but the FC/CC have remained pretty consistent, as have the other levels. I was planning to SLAM, but the required FC level with CYA of 70-80 is SO HIGH...!

Please advise!!! 😎

Algae has crept in over the last week, even with acceptable FC, CC, pH, TA, CYA and salt levels.

We've had a lot of rain, but the FC/CC have remained pretty consistent, as have the other levels. I was planning to SLAM, but the required FC level with CYA of 70-80 is SO HIGH...!

Please advise!!! 😎
What are all of your levels, and how are you testing?

You can still SLAM with CYA at higher levels. You'll use more chlorine to get to SLAM level, but FC loss should be similar to slamming at lower CYA levels. You will burn through more reagents testing at higher FC levels.

You can consider draining down some water:

Please advise!!! 😎
If you have algae, your FC level is not acceptable. 😉 how are you getting your test data?

Reactions: JamesW
I apologize for overlooking some of the replies to my post--I can't always follow the threads (I get tangled..)
13 August:
FC- 10.5
CC- 0.5
pH- 7.8
TA- 70
CYA- 75-80
Salt- 3000

Post pics of your pool. You may have something around it that is an algae source.

I did check the chart before posting, and the FC level required for CYA of 70-80 is super-high, requiring LOTS of bleach.

Makes perfect sense to lower the CYA by draining/replacing water, and then SLAM-ing. And just when I had the CYA right where I wanted it...
But I'm still wondering, how high should I have the FC to keep the algae out?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Reactions: lanikaigirl
Check inside those ladder tubes for algae.

How often do you brush the pool?

Show us the bottom part of the pool.

We got hit with a monster t-storm, this afternoon, with more rain expected. I stocked up on bleach, dumped some water, and brushed it all down. I'll replace water tomorrow, hopefully lowering CYA in order to start SLAM. Do I wait until sun is off the pool, or start adding bleach as soon as possible to raise FC to SLAM level?
Check inside those ladder tubes for algae.

How often do you brush the pool?

Show us the bottom part of the pool.
Will do, tomorrow.

Do I wait until sun is off the pool, or start adding bleach as soon as possible to raise FC to SLAM level?

No reason to wait on the sun. Add liquid chlorine ASAP after you get pH and CYA set for SLAM.

Replaced approx 3" of water, but no change in CYA. Last test: CYA-70, FC- 9. Started SLAM; added 6 gallons of bleach to raise FC to 28. Backwashed and brushed 2x today.

Reactions: Bperry
I'm moving right along with the SLAM and the pool looks better, but keeping the FC level up at 28, as required with CYA of 70, is "challenging", to say the least. Each time I test, I add the amount of chlorine PoolMath recommends, but a few hours later the FC has dropped right back down to 20 or 23. I figure this is exactly what to expect, as the chlorine does it's work, but would it be helpful/effective to add MORE chlorine than prescribed after each test, especially with full sun during the day, in order to keep FC closer to 28 between tests? I intend to test more frequently, too, and make the additions indicated, but if I keep seeing FC drop below 28, is "extra" chlorine a good idea?

Thanks! 😎

I figure this is exactly what to expect, as the chlorine does it's work, but would it be helpful/effective to add MORE chlorine than prescribed after each test, especially with full sun during the day, in order to keep FC closer to 28 between tests? I intend to test more frequently, too, and make the additions indicated, but if I keep seeing FC drop below 28, is "extra" chlorine a good idea?

No, adding much more FC then 28 will not help the SLAM process go faster.

Testing more often, if you can, and topping off to 28 will.

Reactions: lanikaigirl

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.