Algae in pool, need help

Versati1ity

Jul 18, 2020
Kenosha, WI
Hi everyone,

I'm in the process of divorcing my wife and as a result haven't been able to perform my typical pool maintenance. I came over today to our home to this picture.20220614_130525.jpg

My fas-dpd kit is a couple of months expired but I still ran the tests and got this.

FC: 0
pH: 8.0 (or higher idk 8 is the highest color)
TA: 90
CYA: <30 (no cloudiness at all)

I read over the SLAM protocol and it says to lower pH to 7.2 then CYA should be between 30-50ppm. Can I do both at once? Is there a particular order? Also, how long would I wait before I can start adding the chlorine? I know that you want a high enough CYA otherwise the chlorine will be gone in a matter of hours.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Can I lower the cya and add MA on the same day?
Well, yes, but it seems as if flying tivo is suggesting to raise CYA to 30 ppm from virtually zero (which is good advice)

You can do them one after another but be sure you know which way your going (with both) and why.

Can I lower the cya and add MA on the same day?
I think you meant to say lower PH. Yes you can do both, 30 min apart.
You dont need algeacide, you need to SLAM Process
Pool$tore advice and TFP advice is not interchangeable. Choose one or the other, no mix and match.

Today's results.

20220616_193631.jpg

I raised FC to SLAM protocol in the morning and then in the evening tonight. Looks like algae is dead and will vacuum om Saturday since I work late tomorrow.

It's impressive how quickly things can turn around using the SLAM method.

FC: 5.5
pH: 7.2
CYA: 30

I raised the FC to 12 after getting these readings per SLAM protocol.

Today's results.

View attachment 424900

I raised FC to SLAM protocol in the morning and then in the evening tonight. Looks like algae is dead and will vacuum om Saturday since I work late tomorrow.

It's impressive how quickly things can turn around using the SLAM method.

FC: 5.5
pH: 7.2
CYA: 30

I raised the FC to 12 after getting these readings per SLAM protocol.
Looks good, sorry for your situation. My heart goes out to you brother. One day at a time...

Reactions: Versati1ity

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.