Atlanta
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hi everyone and thanks in advance for any help… so I am a new fiberglass pool (21k gal) owner and although I’ve had the pool for a little under a year, construction is lingering on it on and now we’re getting ready to complete everything. We’re just north of Atlanta so you know what the weather could be like in this area. So I took a water sample to Leslie‘s and they suggested close to $450 worth of chemicals to get my pool back on track. I thought that was astronomically high and so I have attached their recommendations. I made some notations after reading pool basics in TFP. image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgHoping someone could suggest a more economical solution to clear my pool up, image.jpgimage.jpgthat would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Welcome to TFP! Sorry to meet this way, however, in most cases this is why pool owners search the internet and end up coming over to the TFP way. Notice I mentioned "way". TFP is a methodology. Only put in your pool what it needs. No pool store potions that just lead to an empty wallet. For your initial pool care need, first off get one of the recommended test kits, either the TF-100 from tftestkits.net or the Taylor K-2006C from online resources but mainly Amazon.

TFP care requires accurate test results and pool stores' business model is to sell you stuff, in fact in your case, $450 worth of potions. You need is liquid chlorine (LC) and stat.

While you wait on your test kits, put 5 ppm worth of LC into the pool every day till your kit arrives. One gallon of LC should do it for you. You can buy chlorine at the big box stores, Walmart, etc. Then once your kit arrives post of your pool water test kit results and the fine pool owners here on TFP and the volunteer moderators can help out.

Reactions: mknauss
I don't have much to add because I'd rather the experts give you their opinion. I will sometimes go to Leslies if I want a certain pool chemical and I don't want to wait. Just fyi, the alkalinity up is just sodium bicarbonate. That's right, baking soda which you can buy a 15 lb box at walmart for $15.

Others can give you a better idea of what to start with and which order. Don't worry about trying to get all the numbers in the optimal range right off the bat.

With the right test kit, we can coach you through just about anything, Welcome to TFP! :wave:

full

You've made a big investment in that pool. I would say another one is a GOOD test kit. I'd recommend the TF-PRO
www.tftestkits.net
It will save you ooodles in not buying extra un-needed pool store potions. You'll know what your levels are (and that Leslie's test paper has some questionable results!). We know how to use the right product and nothing extra.

ALL you need at this point are:
test kit- TF-Pro Salt
Liquid Chlorine
CYA (Stabilizer powder)
Salt if you're using a Salt Water Chlorinator

Later on you *might* need some Muriatic Acid.. are Baking Soda or Washing Soda/Borax. But don't buy unless you know.

Maddie :flower:

Welcome to TFP! Sorry to meet this way, however, in most cases this is why pool owners search the internet and end up coming over to the TFP way. Notice I mentioned "way". TFP is a methodology. Only put in your pool what it needs. No pool store potions that just lead to an empty wallet. For your initial pool care need, first off get one of the recommended test kits, either the TF-100 from tftestkits.net or the Taylor K-2006C from online resources but mainly Amazon.

TFP care requires accurate test results and pool stores' business model is to sell you stuff, in fact in your case, $450 worth of potions. You need is liquid chlorine (LC) and stat.

While you wait on your test kits, put 5 ppm worth of LC into the pool every day till your kit arrives. One gallon of LC should do it for you. You can buy chlorine at the big box stores, Walmart, etc. Then once your kit arrives post of your pool water test kit results and the fine pool owners here on TFP and the volunteer moderators can help out.
Thank you all for your advice! How to i measure putting in 5 ppm worth of LC into the pool every day?

Thank you all for your advice! How to i measure putting in 5 ppm worth of LC into the pool every day?
1 gallon of 10% liquid chlorine will add 10ppm FC to 10000 gallons of water. So in your 21000 gallon pool, add 1 gallon of 10% liquid chlorine each day for 5 ppm FC.

Reactions: an1vrsy
Every day. When you get your test kit, run a full suite of tests and post them here.
So I’m now confused on which test kit to get. The TFP 100 and add the salt option and salt strips or the

TF-PRO *SALT WITH SMARTSTIR-FOR POOLS WITH SWG? Thank you!​

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Your choice. The TF100 with salt option and a SmartStir or the TFPro Salt. The TFPro comes with a nice case that all the components fit in for a few dollars more.

You've made a big investment in that pool. I would say another one is a GOOD test kit. I'd recommend the TF-PRO
www.tftestkits.net
It will save you ooodles in not buying extra un-needed pool store potions. You'll know what your levels are (and that Leslie's test paper has some questionable results!). We know how to use the right product and nothing extra.

ALL you need at this point are:
test kit- TF-Pro Salt
Liquid Chlorine
CYA (Stabilizer powder)
Salt if you're using a Salt Water Chlorinator

Later on you *might* need some Muriatic Acid.. are Baking Soda or Washing Soda/Borax. But don't buy unless you know.

Maddie :flower:
So to update, my pool looks cloudy and I think the reasoning is because I have yet to put my sod down and my dirt is a red clay and we had a lot of wind over the weekend. Do you think this is causing the cloudiness and if so how do I get rid of it? Pass per the thread, I’ve been adding a gallon of liquid chlorine for four days straight now until my test kid arrived any day now. Additionally how much stabilizer do you think I would need to put in initially? Thank you.

Cloudy water is dead algae if after it was green and you are following SLAM instructions. Keep going with the process and backwash your filter frequently. Don't add any CYA while in SLAM as it will just require more chlorine to get the job done.

You can't do any accurate chemicals changes until the test kit arrives. For now, simply continue to add a gallon each day as advised above. You can/should brush daily to help agitate any potential algae and to help get dirt/debris to the skimmer and ultimately the filter. If your filter pressure increases by about 25%, it's time to clean it. Once you receive the test kit, post a full set of results. That's when we can really get accurate about the next steps.

In the meantime, also take a moment to update your signature. See mine as an example.

So I receive my Pro salt test kit and I have recorded as follows: chlorine 1.2 ppm, combine chloramines 0.1 ppm, calcium hardness 175 ppm, total alkalinity 60, CYA 40, salt water test 2,800.

I also performed the daily test for chlorine and pH but I think the ranges are way out of whack… please see the attached image for input. I

Fireback please, I can handle it! Ty 😀

Attachments

• E1A4EEEC-B01A-4B1C-B46B-BE284B7A89E3.jpeg
    E1A4EEEC-B01A-4B1C-B46B-BE284B7A89E3.jpeg
    275.1 KB · Views: 22
Congrats! You are Testing Now!!!

What, EXACTLY, reagent # and number of drops did you put into EACH tube of the daily test.

I don't use the daily test for FC. Just do the 10ml sample size FAS-DPD, number of drops, divide by 2. .5 increments is plenty for daily test. I never use the 25ml, .2 discrimination FC test. Saves reagent!!

Congrats! You are Testing Now!!!

What, EXACTLY, reagent # and number of drops did you put into EACH tube of the daily test.

I don't use the daily test for FC. Just do the 10ml sample size FAS-DPD, number of drops, divide by 2. .5 increments is plenty for daily test. I never use the 25ml, .2 discrimination FC test. Saves reagent!!
Daily test as per TFP test kits, I followed the steps:
2. Next, add 5 drops of R-0600 to the Yellow side and 5 drops of R-0014 to the Red side. Replace the caps and shake well.

Daily test as per TFP test kits, I followed the steps:
2. Next, add 5 drops of R-0600 to the Yellow side and 5 drops of R-0014 to the Red side. Replace the caps and shake well.
Sooo, there is no R-0014. Can you look at the bottle again. Is it R-0004, Phenol Red?

R-0600 is correct for Chlorine. I wonder if the reagents are old.

OR, since both colors look the same, I wonder if you added the R-0004 to both sides.

I'm really unconcerned about the FC side, because you got 1.2 with the FAS-DPD which is super accurate.

I am concerned about the pH side. Can you please re-run the test. Do not use the daily plastic testing unit. Use the 44ml testing unit. Confirm you are using R-0004 Phenol red. Post that result.

Sooo, there is no R-0014. Can you look at the bottle again. Is it R-0004, Phenol Red?

R-0600 is correct for Chlorine. I wonder if the reagents are old.

OR, since both colors look the same, I wonder if you added the R-0004 to both sides.

I'm really unconcerned about the FC side, because you got 1.2 with the FAS-DPD which is super accurate.

I am concerned about the pH side. Can you please re-run the test. Do not use the daily plastic testing unit. Use the 44ml testing unit. Confirm you are using R-0004 Phenol red. Post that result.
Interesting, I ordered the TF test kit pro salt version for $170 based on the input from everybody here and then I get a product sent to me that may be bad or is incorrect? I just followed the directions as per the attached image. This is frustrating!

Attachments

• F050523C-AC43-4998-BAAA-EF2E41F721FB.jpeg
    F050523C-AC43-4998-BAAA-EF2E41F721FB.jpeg
    407.7 KB · Views: 10
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    556.1 KB · Views: 10

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.