Algae and "perfect" water

When adjusting a SWG, you want to measure the FC level in the early evening after a day of full sunlight and average bather load and adjust the percentage based on that. If you are expecting higher bather load you will need to bump up the percentage a day or two in advance of that.

The key is to not let the FC dip below the suggested FC level for your CYA level at any time. High temperatures and high bather loads can cause dips in the FC level. If you don't anticipate those dips in advance and prevent them, algae can get started and require shocking to cure. Stay ahead of the dips in FC by adjusting the percentage up in anticipation of extra pool usage and you will be fine. Or just target a higher FC level to begin with so you have more margin before problems set in.

Where do I get the suggested FC level? I looked at the pool calc and not really sure how to read the suggested FC. Changing numbers didn't really change anything and I can't directly enter the info. Thanks.

If you enter your current CYA level in the Now column on the yellow CYA row, then press tab, the suggested FC levels will appear in the blue Suggested FC levels row a little lower down.

You can also get the same information from this chart at Pool School.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.