Algae again!

Do you need the cover at the moment? I would ditch the cover for a while and see how the pool does.

Are you brushing weekly? Pools need a good brushing weekly.

I agree with ping! And you stated:
Is is simply a case of my filter is not big enough or I'm not running it long enough even with the cover on?

You weren't running the filter as much with the cover on which can create *dead spots* in the pool. I'm not surprised it went green. It is all fixable though. :goodjob:

Yes it's quite possible that I have had MA the whole time.
Each time I have slammed the pool I have only done it to the regular levels.
This time once I'm done slamming I'm dosing it up to MA levels for a good while, putting all the pool equipment in the pool, covering it and making sure everything that has ever touched the pool is either being super chlorinated or put through the washing machine. And as suggested, I will maintain a slightly higher FC/CYA ratio for a few weeks once the slamming is done.

I don't have to use the pool cover,it just saves me from topping the pool up from evaporation, helps keep the pollen out and keeps the pool nice and warm overnight.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree with ping! And you stated:
Is is simply a case of my filter is not big enough or I'm not running it long enough even with the cover on?

You weren't running the filter as much with the cover on which can create *dead spots* in the pool. I'm not surprised it went green. It is all fixable though. :goodjob:

I had the Vantage in floor cleaner running for 2 hours a day while the filter was running, so the water should have been very well circulated with no dead spots

Ok so I've almost finished Slamming the pool.

I have a question regarding the Mustard Slam.
I had my FC at 40.5 at 9pm and tested first thing this morning and it was at 36. This was after maintaining the the FC at 40 all day since about 8am.
I dosed the pool back up to around 42 before I left for work today.

My question is does the FC overnight loss test apply to the Mustard algae shock level? ie, should I bring it back up to 40.5 again when I get home (daylight will kill between 5-10ppm from previous experience) and then make sure I have less than 1ppm loss overnight at the higher shock level? or does that rule only apply to the regular shock level, which in my case is 28ppm FC.

Chlorine loss is proportional to its active chlorine level so I wouldn't worry about some FC loss at the high yellow/mustard SLAM level. You can check the OCLT when at a regular SLAM level. Nevertheless, the active chlorine level at yellow/mustard SLAM is 2.33x higher (if the pH were the same) so your 4.5 ppm FC loss may be more like 1.9 ppm FC which is still on the high side, but there's also test error which is higher at the higher FC as well. It's +/- 1 drop and (worst case) +/- 10% though with care +/- 5% is more likely. So you're probably OK, but can check again once your levels drop after you believe you killed off all the yellow/mustard algae. Some people go to regular SLAM level for a while after yellow/mustard SLAM level just to be sure.

FC stayed at 27 all night.

Have put the pump back to auto so is now running from 10am until 6pm with the SWG at 100%
I have changed the timer for the vantage in fool cleaner to come on for 15min every hour bewteen 9am and 4pm. This is to make sure the water never stays stagnant during warm daylight hours.

Cover is still off.

fingers crossed.

Fantastic!!!

I have left the SWG @ %100 and running for 8 hours a day to maintain a FC level of 20 for the last 3 days and the pool is sparkling clear.
Looking back at the photos I have taken since owning the house the pool has never been fully clear like it is now. I suspect I have had mustard algae since day 1 and it has simply come back every time I have let the FC levels return anywhere near normal.

Just today I have turned the SWG back to %50 to bring the FC back to around 12-14 for the next week or so.
Then I will let it return to normal levels.

I have added extra filtration to the in floor cleaner so now I am running 2 Cartridge filters.

I'll take some photos and keep you posted.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.