Algae again... Clears - comes back - reappers - Advise?

Taylor has some good videos. Here is the on for FC. I only use the 10 ml test. It saves your testing stuff.

JimSwim.com FAS-DPD Testing with Taylor K-2006 - YouTube

OH I like this one by a real person using TFP! He is a little talkly but very clear on how to do it.

How to test a pool for Free Chlorine - YouTube

Do it one test at a time. Have a note pad to write every thing down on. This will help you learn your pool's needs.

PH should be your next test. I hold my tube up with a white plate behind it so I can see the colors very well. I do it at my stove with the light on right over it. You will find what works best for you.

If you need us we are here to help walk you through it!

Kim

Good evening all - I got the test kit today - played mad scientist.. So right now, the pool is crystal clear, no algae on the walls. Been raining pretty hard the past two days - been running the filter 8 hours a day.

Results - Hope I did this right!

Free & Combined Chlorine test - I used the 25ML sample. Had to add 32 drops of R-0871 to get it turn clear. I suppose I multiply that times 2? So my final would be 64?
PH Test - This was odd.. I added the R-0004 and it turned bright yellow, not pink.
Acid Demand Test - After adding 40 drops - would not change color. To do the Base Demand Test I would use another batch of PH results correct?
Total Alkalinity Test - Added the 2 drops of R-0007, then the five drops of R-0008. Did not turn green, it actually turned a reddish/pink. After that I didnt proceed with step 4.
Calcium Hardness Test - Results were "40".
Cyanuric Acid Test - Results were "45".

I have no idea what these results mean - I know you can help.

Thank you!

Use the 10ml for chlorine. It is accurate and will save on reagents. :)

On the pH I'm pretty sure that would mean it's very low.

Hopefully someone with more testing knowledge than me will pop in soon. I am very good and familiar with the FC test because I do it pretty much every day.

PH and the rest? Not so much.

All I know is that the test starts at 6.8 and I'm pretty sure it's said that anything under is going to show the same. You'd have to work on raising it until you can get it to register above that. I also know that chlorine pucks are acidic and can drop your pH. (that's about the end of my knowledge!)

yes if ph test turns yellow means extremely low ph
looks like your ta is extremely low as well
(insert curse word here) looks like you need around 30 lbs soda ash
add 2lbs at a time 30 minutes apart with pump running
and retest ph and ta after 10lbs and take it from there

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the input- I'm going to test again today when I get home - practice, practice..

I'll start with the PH since that is so low - a 25 lb bucket looks to be around 45.00.

Jkpharm, I honestly cant remember if that was 40 drops or not.. I never did water tests like this, so I was writing stuff down while doing it. I dont have my notes with me. I'll get another set of readings tonight.

Question - Once I get the chemicals in "balance" - do they (sort of) maintain each other? I know chlorine will always be needed..

Thanks again!

Definitely! With the exception of adding chlorine each day (you have a chlorinator), the other items definitely slow down. You might check some of them once a week or so - some even longer apart than that unless you see a problem. I check chlorine every day though. Gotta keep the green monster away. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Every pool is different though, so we all learn what works best for us in terms of testing schedules and anticipated usage of chemicals.

Your pool will find where it is happy. My TA and PH hardly change once I get them set up for the summer. I do check them once a week just to be safe.

My CYA also stays the same unless I have a BIG rain and have to dump water. I just test and add as needed.

I test my FC every night and add as needed.

Kim

I may like this pool after all these years... Actually, having my morning coffee in the backyard this past weekend - they are beautiful when they are looking good. I have no problem taking care of it - I'm outside gardening all weekend - I love being outside. I have to say - the pool robot is one of the greatest inventions ever in my book. I have been using it it more this year as I think its a great way to keep the water moving since we dont get in it that much. I've been letting it run its cycle about three times a week.

I'll keep you posted!! :cool:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks everyone for the input- I'm going to test again today when I get home - practice, practice..

I'll start with the PH since that is so low - a 25 lb bucket looks to be around 45.00.

Thanks again!

You can get a comparable amount of Borax for about half that price and it will do the same job for you. When you start raising your TA shop around for the 12lb bags of arm and hammer baking soda...should be able to find that for 10 dollars or less.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.