Air suction main drain

Sep 10, 2011
Yaphank, NY
Hello all,

Just opened the pool for the season. For the most part, everything seems to be running smoothly. Of course there is always something...I have a small amount of air coming in from the suction side. Nothing is noticeably leaking. The air bubbles stop when I close the main drain (3-way jandy valve) and pull from skimmers only. When I stop the pump, there is just a small air bubble (about 2 in in diameter) that sits underneath the pump strainer lid. I do not lose prime and no more air seems to collect in there.

Any ideas? Clog in main drain line? Crack in line underground? Valve leak? Should I do anything or just wait and see if it gets worse?

Thanks again for everyone’s help!

Thank you! If it is the valve, I guess the air is coming in where the main drain suction line connects to the valve? Is replacing the valve the best option or can that be sealed some way? Or is it not worth the trouble to do anything for a small amount of air?

Donnie,

If it is a Jandy style valve you can buy seal kits..

I would first set the pump so that you see the bubbles and then run water from a garden hose over the valve and see if the bubbles (air leak) goes way.. That would tell you for sure where the problem was.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks jim! I tried that and the bubbles did not slow or stop. I guess it might be a slow leak underground ? Haven’t noticed any water loss but haven’t run the pump very long yet either. Any other ideas? Thanks again!

Just noticed I can open the main drain about 30% with skimmers 100%, after that I start pulling air.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.