Orangevale, California
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
A friends pool has had an air leak for years with small bubbles coming out of the discharge ports into the pool. We just installed a variable speed pump and, not unexpectedly, the air leak is still there. I lubed up the o-ring on the cover of the new pump and that changed nothing. I'm tempted to disconnect the pump and rig a garden hose up to the inlet pipe and block off the same pipe at the skimmer and see where water leaks out of the pipe. Does anyone have a better / easier / faster / cheaper way to find the leak on the suction side line of the pump?

To me it seems pretty straight forward, but I could be missing something. I'm thinking the only way air could get into the system is on the suction side of the pump between the pool and the pump. Is there anything I'm missing?

Also, what is this item called (see photos)? I know what it does, but need to replace it and need the correct name.

Thanks in advance for any rendered help!!!!

Attachments

• skimmerizer 1.jpg
    skimmerizer 1.jpg
    492.5 KB · Views: 3
  • skimmerizer 2.jpg
    skimmerizer 2.jpg
    571.3 KB · Views: 3
Any chance the friend has a SWCG?
We just installed a SWCG, but I have heard about the SWCG creating gas (hydrogen gas?) so we didn't power it up yet. This pool has had an air leak for at least a year before the SWCG and VS pump was installed.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK -- air is coming from the suction side. If small amounts, likely from a gasket, oring (check the drain plugs on the pump), valve stems, etc.

run your water hose over each suction side fitting, one at a time and see if the bubbles disappear when on the fitting. You may get lucky and find it this way. It actually does work at times.

Last edited:
OK -- air is coming from the suction side. If small amounts, likely from a gasket, oring (check the drain plugs on the pump), valve stems, etc.
Thanks for the ideas; I'll report back. I should have mentioned that there's no upstream valves or other plumbing features - just pipe running underground going straight to the skimmer. I didn't yet check the drain plugs on the pump but will asap.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.