Air Leak - Must Be Above Ground?

Jun 5, 2016
Sarasota fl
hi there. Hoping for help finding an air leak. My inground pool has air bubbles shooting out of several of the Jets. I still seem to have full pressure though. I don’t see any dirt or sediment coming out. Is a significant amount of air. This started when I didn’t realize that the skimmer was blocked, and I believe that this created suction that resulted in the issue.

Do you have a SWG? When producing, it’s not uncommon to see bubbles coming from the jets.

Here are some photos of the set up. Please don’t look at the leaves! Just blew out the gutters last week. ☹️
It’s a little hard to see inside the pump, but again when we first start it, it runs normally with only a little bit of air at the top and then as it runs some of the air bubbles start to bleed back in, which is what looks like is happening now. I didn’t seem to be able to post a video.

Can you show a photo of pump side on the side of your filter?

Did you recently clean your filter and pump basket? Perhaps open both, lube, then secure again to see if the bubbles go away.

Can you show a photo of pump side on the side of your filter?

Did you recently clean your filter and pump basket? Perhaps open both, lube, then secure again to see if the bubbles go away.
Sure. I’ll get a picture. I actually did clean the filter and the pump basket. I bought a new gasket for the pump basket lid, replaced it and added silicone. Also removed and replaced the gasket on the filter which is less than a year old and put silicone there too. I just keep thinking that with the system, retaining pressure, if there were a leak in any of those areas, wouldn’t it be more likely for water to leak out rather than air to leak in? That’s what really has me thinking. It must be somewhere inside the pump. I just don’t know the pump function well enough to figure out where.

Sure. I’ll get a picture. I actually did clean the filter and the pump basket. I bought a new gasket for the pump basket lid, replaced it and added silicone. Also removed and replaced the gasket on the filter which is less than a year old and put silicone there too. I just keep thinking that with the system, retaining pressure, if there were a leak in any of those areas, wouldn’t it be more likely for water to leak out rather than air to leak in? That’s what really has me thinking. It must be somewhere inside the pump. I just don’t know the pump function well enough to figure out where.
IMG_0886.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0887.jpeg
    IMG_0887.jpeg
    486.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0888.jpeg
    IMG_0888.jpeg
    356.7 KB · Views: 1
Did you remember to tighten the pressure gauge on top of the filter?

I was just thinking about areas where air could come in.

Reactions: Reeeba1
You mentioned skimmer was temporarily blocked. Have the bubbles decreased while the pump is running for a while?

Outside of my above recommendations, I’m not sure what else it could be. Hopefully someone else here has some ideas of where else you can look.

Reactions: Reeeba1

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
hi there. Hoping for help finding an air leak. My inground pool has air bubbles shooting out of several of the Jets. I still seem to have full pressure though. I don’t see any dirt or sediment coming out. Is a significant amount of air. This started when I didn’t realize that the skimmer was blocked, and I believe that this created suction that resulted in the issue.
Pump lid O ring needing lube or replacing.
Inlet plumbing to the pump including the pipe nipple, a union, and any valve that is before the pump.
A bead of silicone sealant around the area where the inlet pipe goes into the pot can seal a leak there. That's a small amount.
Union may need tightening if there.
There are 3 O rings in a valve that can leak air, the two on the stem and the lid O ring itself.
Nothing after the pump, including the outlet itself, will cause that air. That would be a water leak.

Reactions: kul and Reeeba1
You mentioned skimmer was temporarily blocked. Have the bubbles decreased while the pump is running for a while?

Outside of my above recommendations, I’m not sure what else it could be. Hopefully someone else here has some ideas of where else you can look.
Thank you. Bubbles do not decrease. I really wish I could figure it out!! Appreciate the help…

Pump lid O ring needing lube or replacing.
Inlet plumbing to the pump including the pipe nipple, a union, and any valve that is before the pump.
A bead of silicone sealant around the area where the inlet pipe goes into the pot can seal a leak there. That's a small amount.
Union may need tightening if there.
There are 3 O rings in a valve that can leak air, the two on the stem and the lid O ring itself.
Nothing after the pump, including the outlet itself, will cause that air. That would be a water leak.
Thanks for all this. I’ll check it out.