Air in Pump

I find that the pour over method does not always work. You have to be very patient as the bubbles may not go away immediately. Also if the gap is at the bottom of the fitting, it can be difficult to keep it wet.

An alternative I have used in the past quite successfully is to use pool lube on any suspected joint. The suction in the pump will suck in the pool lube and it may seal for a short period. Just enough to figure out where the leak is. Without removing any fittings, I would apply some pool lube on the nipple fitting threads going into the pump threads and see if that reduces the bubbles at all.

So I ran the water test again and found the leak is at the 2” to 1-1/2” reducer fitting in the front of the pump. I tried tightening it as far as I could go without forcing it further. I was afraid to crack something. Should I remove and retape the fitting or do you recommend getting a new reducer fitting? Also, I’m guessing I wrapped the tape about 4 or 5 wraps. Should I have done more? Should I use a sealant and instead of or with the tape.

Thanks

Reactions: Texas Splash
Teflon tape should not be used on PVC threads:

They recommend a non-hardening sealant make specifically for PVC threads. Like this:

My preference is pipe dope (joint compound). For me, it's faster, easier and looks better.

That said, thousands of of threads are made up every day using teflon tape. I won't argue with a manufacturer but many, many many many connections are successfully made using 2-3 wraps of teflon tape

I would take the joint apart and put it back together with pipe dope but if you decide to use teflon, 3-4 wraps is plenty of tape.

Thanks. What pipe dope do you recommend? should you leave the pump off for a while after installing with pipe dope? ... even though I know it doesn't harden. Lastly, how much pipe dope should be applied. I've seen it in grey and I've seen it in black?

This is made specifically for PVC pipe threads:

I would not use anything else.

Last edited:
+1 what mas985 said (unless Oatey can't be found - then use another brand

You can pressurize it immediately

Wipe the joint with a rag.......makes for a nice, clean appearance......you chose the color you like.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Be careful with pipe joint compounds that contain teflon. It makes it real easy to over tighten a fitting and crack something.

Plumbers typically prefer Rectorseal products. Most use a few wraps of teflon tape, followed with #5.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.