Air in pipes at lower RPM?

Rotate your SWCG cell so the hump is down. This will keep the plates submerged at low RPM.
Like this? It's funny because the text on the label is now upside down, which intuitively makes it seem wrong. Is this what you meant? Ty

Attachments

• 20230725_181340.jpg
    20230725_181340.jpg
    596.2 KB · Views: 5
Hayward Super pumps are very different from the TriStar line. They will, usually, fill completely with water, though at lower speeds they sometimes look like a TriStar. No one should ever use glue to seal a fitting into a pump. If that is a pool/spa combo, it is very likely that standard PVC male adapter has shrunk from the heat of the water. They can also be damaged by the vibrations of a pump, especially if that fitting was re-used.

I would remove the union and the fitting, wrap at least 6 wraps of Teflon tape around the fitting after cleaning it off. Then, I always apply a thin layer of silicone sealant over that. When the fitting is removed, carefully look at it from the side. If the taper (male pipe fittings always have a taper) is very apparent, it is best to replace the fitting. More wraps of T tape would help but it won't last. A high-temp pump union is best. The threads on those is not tapered as they are designed to be threaded completely into the pump without damaging it and sealing with an O ring.
Thanks. I removed the pipe screwed into the pump. Turns out it was just Teflon tape used and that was the orange stuff. The piece cracked when coming out (or was already cracked maybe) so I replaced the PVC, and Threaded end. It seems to be better, but I'm still seeing some accumulation of air at low speeds. Does this still look like too much air? 1725 rpm. Thanks

Reactions: Rancho Cost-a-Lotta
Thanks. I removed the pipe screwed into the pump. Turns out it was just Teflon tape used and that was the orange stuff. The piece cracked when coming out (or was already cracked maybe) so I replaced the PVC, and Threaded end. It seems to be better, but I'm still seeing some accumulation of air at low speeds. Does this still look like too much air? 1725 rpm. Thanks

At low speed most VSP can't evacuate all air from the pot. Not an indication of a leak.

Doesn't look worrying to me. No bubbles on higher speed anymore?
No bubbles on high speed. When switching from high speed down to low, after some time an air bubble does accumulate as pictured above. But not large enough for sloshing to occur. Assuming that means a small amount of air is getting in somehow, but at high speed the pump is strong enough to compensate, maybe?

The bubble on the top is the nature of the beast. Air bubbles present themselves as tons of small bubbles swirling around but other then the one large one the crock is clear so I'd say leave good enough alone.

Reactions: mgtfp
The bubble on the top is the nature of the beast. Air bubbles present themselves as tons of small bubbles swirling around but other then the one large one the crock is clear so I'd say leave good enough alone.
Thanks all for the support!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.