Air in One Return Line

gmlasher

Jun 9, 2023
New York
So I have a Hayward cartridge filter system. I cleaned it at start up, reassembled, lubed the gasket which is 1 year old, and tightened the central clamp.

I also have a Hayward in line chlorination system. I opened it, replaced the cover o ring, lubed it and resealed it. Also replaced one of the nipple connections with all new parts.

I also re- lubed the pump basket gasket.

problem is I lose prime every off cycle and there are massive jets of air coming from the return physically nearest the pump.

I have sprayed dish soap on every Union and seal and can see no leaks but I still have the issue. Any ideas

Welcome to TFP! :wave: The dish soap might help if air was getting pushed outwards, but with a suction leak, it gets pulled IN, so you may not see much with the soap. Two things to keep in mind:
1 - Anytime the pump pot looses water when the system is OFF, you have an air leak somewhere - anywhere on that equipment pad. Leave nothing to chance. Every seal, fitting, union, gasket, etc. If you checked it once, check it again. It only takes a very tiny spot. When you shut the system off, listen carefully for any hints of a sound.
2 - Air bubbles at the return jet(s) is often times the sign of a suction side leak, basically from the pool skimmer to the pump. So check all of those areas as well. I'll post a link below to help you get started on that.

Let us know if you make any progress or need more help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.