Air in Liquador "out" line.

surgdog said:
Ok, if I have this correct air in the "out" line is due to a chemical reaction and not a problem, right?

What chemical reaction cold be going on in the line? The cl and water are already mixed in the liquidator and there's no back flow of water on that side of the pump...so an air leak in one of the fittings would be more likely in my mind...

The flow of the tubing is not the problem, but rather the orifice size of the check valves/fittings that come with the LQ. The standard tubing is great quality and plenty big, but is impeded by the crappy plastics that they send with the LQ.

Barb fittings from Hasa have a 1/4" OD and 1/8" ID. The two bulkhead fittings from Hasa have a 3/16" ID, so using 1/2" OD (3/8" ID) hose really doesn't help with flow. The original 3/8" OD (1/4" ID) works just fine. Using speed fittings, allow for better flow with less obstruction.

I've given up on the flow meter too. I've tried it twice, each time with a new meter, and air just keeps getting in there so now I just make adjustments to the flow valve as needed like Bruce does.

Now my problem is the flow valve which hasn't been turning as easily as it did when it was new. Mine has gotten difficult to turn to adjust - unsure whether it needs to be soaked in a 50/50 acid/water solution or simply replaced periodically.

Sal/Bruce, is it possible to purchase a spare flow valve from your upgrade kit?

p.s.: flyboy, the hose that comes with the LQ works great, it fits perfectly with PST Pool Supplies' 3/8" upgrade -- I've had no problem at all with it.

terriolsen: How is your pH? If you allow it to drift up, the flow valve can get a bit tough to turn. Bringing it back down again should get it back to normal. You can clean it with acid (always add acid to water, and I would cut it probably 1 part acid to 3 parts water at first, depending on acid strength), and then try and keep the pH down in range.

I'm sure we can get you another valve (Sal has probably already seen this and responded!). Try the cleaning and let us know if that helped though also :goodjob:

So I was moving the lines around today since everything was rebuilt this past week. I found that one of the ends on the check valve going to the pump would consistently let in air if I bent the tube on one side of the check valve. The other joints weren't as consistent but I got a few of them to leak too. I'm thinking a winding or two of Teflon tape might help or did I read that somewhere here ;)

I forgot to mention I think I can hear air getting sucked in at the fitting before the pump. I checked the clamp and it was good and tight. Any advice on what to do next?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I don't think the t-tape will help much with those. I'd put some pool lube on the tubing ends when inserting them. I think thay'll help more than anything. They're designed to be aligned fairly well anyway so it doesn't surprise me that they leak when you bend them sideways.

I try to keep my pH right around 7.4 to 7.5. When it creeps up to 7.8, then I bring it back down. I never let it get any higher than 7.8 and the longest its been at 7.8 is maybe for a couple days before I catch it. Bruce, do you think that's had an impact on the valve?

I'll see what cleaning it up does... but I'd feel better having an extra on hand, just in case. Sal, I have your contact info and will give you a call on Friday.

thanks,
Terri

Your pH is fine, Terri, and I don't believe that has had any impact on your flow valve. How about your CH level? It could be that you have a bit of a calcium build up on the valve, which would cause it to turn a little tough. Either way, I think once you clean it you should be fine. Please let us know either way though!

Bama Rambler said:
I don't think the t-tape will help much with those. I'd put some pool lube on the tubing ends when inserting them. I think thay'll help more than anything. They're designed to be aligned fairly well anyway so it doesn't surprise me that they leak when you bend them sideways.

I'll try that thanks!

Any advice on the fitting to the suction pipe? The rubber bushing looks fine and the clamp is on tight...would teflon or teflon paste be the way to go, or something else?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.