Air entering system when vacuuming

tpm

Sep 6, 2008
NY
Hello.
For years I’ve been dealing with air getting into my system after about 10 minutes of vacuuming. (At worst the pump basket water level gets down about half way but never lost prime) I changed everything including the vac hose, pump cover seal, etc. Today I decided not to use the closest skimmer but the other one and I found I was able to vacuum the entire pool “trouble free”. The skimmer I’m using has another outlet on the bottom for a water feature so should I plug that when using that skimmer to vacuum? I feel it doesn’t have the same sucking pressure as the other one.
FYI the skimmer hoses tie into each other before getting to the pump. Also what can I check for on the skimmer causing the issue?
Thanks!

In my experience, vacuuming always tends to result in more air in the system. My pump pot always drops a bit lower when I manually vacuum. I don't see it as a system issue as the pot is full/fine after I vacuum, it's just part of the vacuum process. As long as the pump doesn't lose prime, I would beat myself up over it.

Maybe post a pic or two for us to see your set up?
IMG_5806.jpeg

so while vacuuming coming out of the pump up to the multiport the water in the tube isn’t full any longer once air gets into the syste. And on the salt generator the same thing so I turn the salt generator off while I vacuum.

Attachments

• IMG_5807.jpeg
    IMG_5807.jpeg
    696.9 KB · Views: 6
No. One valve for bottom drain and the other for the skimmers. Skimmers tie into each other under ground
In that case we can look at your scenario as follows:
- Both valves open means you will be pulling water from both skimmers and the drain. It may seem like a good idea to ensure water is always getting pulled from the drain, but it may be too much effort on the pump. Hard to know unless you experiment with the setting (valves) a bit.

- If you close the drain valve completely, you may find better vacuum suction since it's closer to the waterline surface. The skimmer closest to the equipment pad probably serves as your primary skimmer. By that I mean it has two holes in the bottom. The hole closest to the equipment pad goes to the pump while the hole that faces towards the pool goes to the other skimmer further away. Usually there is a diverter of some sort in that primary skimmer that allows you to adjust how much water gets pulled from each skimmer. If you do not have a diverter, you would have to manually plug the line to focus water pull to one skimmer.

- If you determine that vacuuming by "skimmer only" that the water pull appears to be best from the farthest skimmer versus the one closest to the pad, then you should try to determine why. Is there a chance that closest suction line has a leak or a partial blockage? If the pump remains full when not vacuuming, or vacuums better from one water source location than the other, then it's a bit of investigation and process of elimination.

Even in the best scenarios, air can get in the vacuum line due to the connections.

In that case we can look at your scenario as follows:
- Both valves open means you will be pulling water from both skimmers and the drain. It may seem like a good idea to ensure water is always getting pulled from the drain, but it may be too much effort on the pump. Hard to know unless you experiment with the setting (valves) a bit.

- If you close the drain valve completely, you may find better vacuum suction since it's closer to the waterline surface. The skimmer closest to the equipment pad probably serves as your primary skimmer. By that I mean it has two holes in the bottom. The hole closest to the equipment pad goes to the pump while the hole that faces towards the pool goes to the other skimmer further away. Usually there is a diverter of some sort in that primary skimmer that allows you to adjust how much water gets pulled from each skimmer. If you do not have a diverter, you would have to manually plug the line to focus water pull to one skimmer.

- If you determine that vacuuming by "skimmer only" that the water pull appears to be best from the farthest skimmer versus the one closest to the pad, then you should try to determine why. Is there a chance that closest suction line has a leak or a partial blockage? If the pump remains full when not vacuuming, or vacuums better from one water source location than the other, then it's a bit of investigation and process of elimination.

Even in the best scenarios, air can get in the vacuum line due to the connections.
What I’ve been doing is plugging the skimmer furthest from filter as there is no diverter. This morning I did the opposite and vacuumed with the furthest skimmer and didn’t get any air. I do notice the skimmer pressure is strongest at the furthest skimmer but still get decent pressure at the closest. I’ll see during the week if this continues. If there is a blockage in closest skimmer line it does still let good flow through. (Within 10’ they connect together) I’ll find the construction pictures that show the plumbing for the skimmers sometime during the week
Thanks

Reactions: Texas Splash
What I’ve been doing is plugging the skimmer furthest from filter as there is no diverter. This morning I did the opposite and vacuumed with the furthest skimmer and didn’t get any air. I do notice the skimmer pressure is strongest at the furthest skimmer but still get decent pressure at the closest. I’ll see during the week if this continues. If there is a blockage in closest skimmer line it does still let good flow through. (Within 10’ they connect together) I’ll find the construction pictures that show the plumbing for the skimmers sometime during the week
Thanks
Forgot to mention I always keep bottom drain cracked open even when vacuuming but have tried it closed while vacuuming but didn’t make a difference.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I know nothing about multi-pump systems so ignore me if I'm way off base... I see SKIMMER/BOTTOM input to pump attached to the filter and a SKIMMER input to the Aux pump with Output to WATERFALL? Are those the 2 Skimmers, or are there 3 Skimmers total? (Just trying to understand.) :scratch:

I know nothing about multi-pump systems so ignore me if I'm way off base... I see SKIMMER/BOTTOM input to pump attached to the filter and a SKIMMER input to the Aux pump with Output to WATERFALL? Are those the 2 Skimmers, or are there 3 Skimmers total? (Just trying to understand.) :scratch:
Yes, 2 skimmers plus the bottom drain. Separate pump for the water feature

Reactions: Getitrite
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.