Air compressors and pool pumps.

FoxItAll

In The Industry
Feb 5, 2024
Tampa, Florida
I was hurt on the job today and I'm not sure what to do about it.

I was dispatched to a clogged line call and sent with an air compressor. The company I work for taught me their method of clearing lines, whereas other companies and professionals have shown me others ways.

Their way is to plug up the impeller port inside the pump, attach a brass fitting to the bottom port where a Vacuum gauge could be placed. Then blow out the line with compressed air.

Today, the pump lid blew off and hit me in the face. My nose is bleeding, damaged and my face hurts and swelling.

my questions is this: are those ports designed for air compressors and clogged line work as per the manufacturers design and recommendation or is this a method that was created by professionals as a way to make a clog go away? How much PSI can a housing take? Lid? Is it 40psi like PVC?

I was taught to stuff pipes and blast with Oxygen or Nitrogen, or cut pvc, cap it, drill a hole and tap it for a brass fitting for a compressor and blow it out.

Any info is appreciated.

Do you need medical attention? If so, seek it. If not, lesson learned.

IIRC, 50 lbs is a common max psi for pool equipment.

Were you standing over the pump when it blew or did it come at you like a Frisbee?

Pool pump lids are designed for suction and not pressure.

How much pressure was used?

What is the pump model number?

I would not use more than 10 psi on a whole system.

In any case, always anticipate component separation and never put your body in a position where the separation can cause bodily injury.

Reactions: kul and Newdude
Your company should have procedures for injury reporting and you should follow the procedures.

You should seek medical attention if you feel like it is necessary.

Most likely, you should see a doctor to get evaluated and to document the incident.

You might need to file for worker's compensation.

Depending on the seriousness of the incident, you might need to report it especially if the company is putting workers at risk of injury due to insufficient training and dangerous practices.

You should never pressurize the equipment. If the clog is from the skimmer to the equipment you can use a plumbers bladder attached to compressed air or co2 to loosen the blockage as a last result. You would do this with the pump lid off, so you don’t pressurize system.

WARNING – Hazardous Pressure. Pumps, filters, and other equipment/ components of a swimming pool filtration system operate under pressure.

Incorrectly installed and/or improperly tested filtration equipment and/or components may fail resulting in severe personal injury or death.

Prior to Start-Up
If it is necessary to perform a water pressure test prior to initial use to ensure plumbing system is functioning properly, then the following criteria should be maintained for this test:
1. Have a professional perform this test.
2. Ensure all Hayward pump and system components are removed from system prior to performing test.

WARNING – If circulation equipment must remain in the plumbing system during water pressure test, do not apply more than 10 psi pressure to the system.

Be sure water pressure has been released, using the filter manual air relief valve, before removing pump strainer cover.

To minimize the risk of severe injury or death the filter and/or pump should not be subjected to the piping system pressurization test.

Local codes may require the pool piping system to be subjected to a pressure test.

These requirements are generally not intended to apply to the pool equipment such as filters or pumps.

Zodiac® pool equipment is pressure tested at the factory.

However, if the WARNING cannot be followed and pressure testing of the piping system must include the filter and/or pump, BE SURE TO COMPLY WITH THE FOLLOWING SAFETY INSTRUCTIONS:

• Check all clamps, bolts, lids, lock rings and system accessories to ensure they are properly installed and secured before testing.

• RELEASE ALL AIR in the system before testing.

Water pressure for test must NOT EXCEED 35 PSI.

• Water temperature for test must NOT EXCEED 100°F (38°C).

• Limit test to 24 hours. After test, visually check system to be sure it is ready for operation.

NOTICE: These parameters apply to Zodiac equipment only.

For non-Zodiac equipment, consult equipment manufacturer.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Typically, you do not want to use air or any gas because gasses are compressible, which can result in violent separation due to the expansion of the gas.

Water with no air in the system is always safer.

You should not be doing this type of work without proper training.

Reactions: FoxItAll