Air buble at low speed in variable speed pump

nidamer

Bronze Supporter
May 30, 2016
Toronto/Ontario/Canada
Hi guys, this should be a quick one. We just replaced the old single speed pump with a variable speed one. I noticed that at low speeds (1400 RPM), a golf ball size air bubble forms inside the pump basket. When increasing speed, the bubble disappears. Is this normal or was there something wrong done with the installation? Please note the previous single speed pump had no bubble but obviously ran at a higher speed. Also water level is good. Thanks for the help!

You'll find on other threads here that a small amount of air in a variable speed is quite common. Some owners will actually program their VSP to kick-up a few RPMs once or twice a day for a short time just to push it out. Keep an eye on it to ensure it doesn't get worse, but I suspect you are fine.

Completely normal. My single speed 3450 RPM pump had no bubbles in the strainer. I replaced it with a Pentair VS pump. I run the VS pump at 1500 RPM and I do have some air bubbles at that speed. If I turn up the VS to 2500, all the bubbles go away. You have no worries, enjoy your VS pump and all the electricity you will save.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.