AGP Pool robot guidance

brettch

May 23, 2020
ND
Hi all,

I'm considering a robot for my AGP, and I guess mostly looking for confirmation that any cleaner intended for an inground pool will work. I've searched and read other threads here, but most are fairly old and closed. The primary issue seems to just be that the cleaners may not be able to climb walls, but should still get the floor of the pool regardless? I do see that Maytronic appears to have a few cleaners intended for AG now, but these look similar to the IG cleaners and just don't mention wall / water line cleaning. They also don't appear to have any with bells and whistles like app control.

I have a splash super pool and when purchased a few years ago the package came with the Pentair Lil Shark. It worked OK at best initially, but really didn't seem to get around and clean as well last year or so far this year. I took it apart and see a break in the frame which is likely impacting the performance. I may attempt to glue it in some way, but even if performance improves it always left something to be desired.

The design of the splash pool means there isn't a hard 90 degree corner between the floor and walls, so even the lil shark would climb partially up the walls. I'm thinking an IG cleaner would as well, though the design also leads to a point where if the robot climbed high enough it would potentially be a bit inverted and could tip itself over? Can they correct from that if it were to fall upside down to the bottom of the pool? Even if it couldn't get at the walls, as long as there's no damage concerns (to the pool or robot) I'd likely splurge on an IG robot for a few of the extras that aren't available in the AG lineup.

Following up my own post, in case it helps any others. Any local pool suppliers either pushed the Dolphin cleaners designed for AGP's (floor only cleaning, no smart bluetooth/wifi features), or said any cleaner would work and had astronomical pricing.

I reached out to Marina to discuss. They confirmed any would work fine for me and do at least as good, probably better than any of the AGP specific models. No stock on S300i, so have an Active 30i on the way for all the wifi features, plus if it does become a problem the 30i/300i have the option to choose a floor only cleaning. For the record, their price for this model was well below any pricing on much lower end models that local shops offered.

Good to hear. I have a 20K gallon AGP and reached out to Marina to discuss the same. Margaret ultimately recommended for me either the Prowler 910 or Warrior SL, both of which are designated as AGP models. I asked about those designed for IGP, namely the Warrior SE, and she assured me that they should work fine, but it was ultimately up to me if i wanted to shell out the extra $200 or so for the SE. Currently leaning on going with the 910 or SL with the ultra fine filter basket, which Margaret offered to upgrade to at no additional charge.

Thanks all for the feedback. My wife's new pool boy (the Active 30i) arrived an hour ago. He's in the pool doing his job now. Can definitely tell where it has passed over and where it has yet to clean. With the curved approach it is also easily climbing walls up to the water line, even though it gets partially inverted on the way up. :D

Reactions: S-Merry
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.