AGP - draining cover also drains pool?

Jul 25, 2011
Bedford, NH
Have an AGP with a winter cover (located in New England).

Cover has a bunch of water on it, so I dropped the pump in yesterday afternoon, on top of the cover, to drain the cover. Before I did I looked through the skimmer box and the water level in the pool was about 2" below the bottom of the skimmer box. When I looked last night, the water level was about 6 inches lower than it was when I started. Even though the pump is on top of the cover, it seems to be draining water from the pool itself. I thought these covers held the water. Am I mistaken? This is not a mesh cover, it is a thick Poly.

If the pump is draining the water under the cover, what is the process to get the water off the top of the cover without draining the pool water?

Water on top of the cover will displace water in the pool below the cover, pushing it up the side wall, so when you drain from the cover the opposite happens. If your cover is solid, like a tarp, I think that is what you are seeing and not actual drainage of water in the pool.

Reactions: Decoy205
Imagine a balloon with half water and half air inside of it. When you sit it in the water it doesn't just float on it, it sinks to the same level as the water inside of it. This is what the cover does: it doesn't hold the rain water above the pool water, it merely separates them.

Besides actual rips, covers/tarps are woven and may let water pass through once warlterlogged. Or if it was truly waterproof when new, it's past its prime and the fibers aren't as tight as they once were.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.