Aftermarket SWG???

mgarf33

Oct 27, 2013
Obviously, the T-15 cell replacement is ridiculous, and any consumer would look at the alternatives. However, are the Amazon, or other online site cells any good? Will they last at least a few years? Even if I had to replace the cell twice, in the next 8-10 years, it would still be a better value than the OEM Hayward replacement. So, my question is, does anyone have a long term review on the function and durability of aftermarket cells. I found a few threads on this subject but didn't see any long term feedback.

Last edited:
Not sure of your experience with the Hayward T cell but I purchased a home with an aftermarket that was broken (so not sure what was the cause, or just the life ran out). I decided to buy the T-15 and everything worked as it should in terms of salt PPM measurement, chlorine generation, etc...

What I have read is that the number one thing that causes premature aging of these is not keeping your pool chemicals balanced. I keep mine balanced very closely and I have pulled mine off twice to check it for calcium and other build up and there's nothing so so far, I believe the chemical balancing theory.

With that, I would vote to go OEM on that. Yes, it is a pretty penny, but I'm more concerned about the chemicals and things like that working, and thus worth the money for OEM, vs the cleaners which are where I think we get taken to the bank every Dang time and 40 times on Sunday.

Now, I realize I haven't had my T-15 for its expected 4-5 life span yet, but if I'm keeping the calcium and other Crud out of it, it should maximize its life and perhaps last beyond 5 years. I don't mind spending 800-1000 every 5 years or so when I didn't have to spend any maintenance cost over that time like we do for Dang cleaners. (You can tell I hate cleaners).

Many generics have less/smaller plates, and therefore less lifespan. Like you said, the math may still make it work, or in a pinch get you to better times financially.

I'm all for them, providing you can find a lifespan rating on the unit you're considering. It would suck buying a 3k hour unit expecting it to last 10k hours. Apples to apples and whatnot.

Well, after all things considered, my OEM turbocell lasted almost 9 years. Admittedly, the last couple years were limping along, with random salt level readings but it still worked. The reason why I'm going with the Hayward is the fact that we have become a society of buy cheap, hope for the best, and then regret. There are so many off brand replacement cells that can claim any length warranty they wish, but the fact is, they may be gone next month. What good is a warranty when the mfg. terminates the brand? These Chinese knockoff companies are great at providing low cost garbage, and not backing up the product because all they have to do is close the company and reopen under another name every year or two. So, while I hate to spend $900 std - $1150 LL on a salt cell, I think we're going to bite the bullet and get another 6-9 years out of an oem product. The LL cell is available from my local store and has a 4 year warranty. That's roughly a guaranteed $300/year chlorine cost worst case. If it lasts at least as long as the standard, it will be less than $150/year. Looking at these numbers though, I almost feel like a 25lb bucket of tablets would be cheaper.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bob Jakob
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.