Advices needed for new pump

amati5

Sep 13, 2011
So Cal
Currently, Pentair Whisperflo 1.5 hp 2 speed (wfds-6) but Highspeed won’t start on its own. Opened up the motor to check and also changed capacitor without success.
I am thinking of going with variable speed for the following reason:

1. Low speed is too weak to run the KK, and high speed, I think is too high. The reason I think it’s too high is because WHEN THE FILTER IS CLEAN, which I think has little flow resistance, the KK produces a lot of air to the filter. I think the KK is quite restrictive and the way it works, causing aeration (?) The problem goes away once the filter has ENOUGH DIRT IN IT that slow down the flow. Also, it’s a lot louder when the KK is running.

2. With VS pump, I hope I’ll be able to schedule the pump to run higher speed just an hr/day for the KK, and lower speed for the rest to save energy. Or just pick a minimum speed just enough to run the KK all day. Based on my experience with my current pump, 1hp would be good for the KK but having lower (.75?) when not using the KK and the higher 1.5 just in case is what I think ideal. i Like the KK because it has less moving parts with little maintenance required but the way it produces air I’m willing to go with something else.

3. Not having to redo the piping is also a consideration so should I assume that all pentair pumps have the same piping configuration? Is it possible to just change the motor and keep the wet end intact to minimize the work?

Currently, the pump is ran by Intermatic timer with Aquarite so with the new VS pump I’ll have to look into Current Relay Switch, or something like that for the Aquarite.

thx in advanice for your suggestions

Last edited:
The VS pump has many advantages as you have stated. I have the 3Hp Pentair IntelliFlo and it has 8 programable speeds (not using automation system). Mine is model 011056. You can hook up a VS to an intermatic timer and then use the programs on the pump to control speed and timings.
For the VS pump you have to change out the total unit - not just the motor. Also suggest you include unions when you fit the new pump on both the inlet and outlet connections. Mine replaced a single speed WhisperFlo and I had to put a 1/4" mat under the new VS pump to raise it up to ensure my inlet pipe was not bending. You also want to ensure you have 10 inches straight pipe before the pump inlet.
Maybe post a picture of your current set up and also the timer.

Here are some pics. Nothing unsual. The Yellow timer is for both the pump and the Aquarite. The other timer is for the waterfall pump.

77F8C1D4-91A2-403C-AC3C-473593EA3C4D.jpeg6AB0801D-93B9-45F3-B5DF-56CC61C65F39.jpeg

Isn’t 3hp too much? I even think 1.5 is already a bit too much. What’s the difference between 01156 and 01128 beside the 56 can adjust the flow condition. Does that feature actually work as designed? The 28 at least has the same dimension spec (distance from inlet to outlet and height) as my existing pump. The 58 didn’t list any dimensions on Pentair website. It’s frustrating looking on Pentair site. Their spec for each pump don’t cover the same info to compare, some cases not even the inlet/outlet size.

C069D7FA-5334-4D88-AAC9-78C634EF6BEA.png

3049656B-8E69-41D6-B243-1DC32CB3965D.png

Isn’t 3hp too much? I even think 1.5 is already a bit too much. What’s the difference between 01156 and 01128 beside the 56 can adjust the flow condition. Does that feature actually work as designed? The 28 at least has the same dimension spec (distance from inlet to outlet and height) as my existing pump.
The great thing about a VS pump is that as you lower the speed the hp is lower which is why you have less electricity usage. The main difference in pumps is as you state - the 011056 has either variable speed or flow. The 011028 is a great pump as well and also rated at 3hp. so you have the power if you needed it. My pump never runs at max speed. I lowered the priming speed to 3000rpm because my pump is basically at same level of pool water. My normal speeds are 1500 to 2000 rpm majority of day.
I see you already have a union on each end of existing pump - so you just need to unscrew the pipe. Need to verify if threads are the same.

What about the (342001) Superflo VS? It’s rated at 1.5 hp? Only 3 speed at 1400, 2200 and 3000 rpm but seems like both the 2200 and 3000 will work with my KK (right now 1700 is too weak and 3475 is too high). I don’t mind spending more for the other 2 if they are reliable and more efficient but just wonder.

Just curious as why the need for self priming. If the pump loses prime after stop running but self prime the next day, doesn’t the air from the empty pipes will accumulate quickly unless you bleed it daily? The only times when I lose prime is when I open the pump’s basket lid to clean.
thx

I think you are doing the right thing by evaluating what speeds you need. If only 3 speeds needed then go that way. The other 2 pumps provide 8 speed settings - so if that is an overkill then no need to purchase that. You only run your cleaner (KK) no more than a couple of hours a day (I think you said earlier 1 hr per day) so you really want to ensure that the time you need to circulate and make chlorine is at an efficient speed while lowering operating costs. The 3 speeds may work fine for your requirements.

I run my system at 5 different speeds. 1 speed for general circulation (majority of operating time), 1 speed for skimming (2-4 hrs per day), 1 speed for cleaner (1 hr per day), 1 speed for spa and another speed for spa with heater (both as required).

To clarify on self priming - as you found with your 2 speed, it ran at top speed to prime after you cleaned your pump basket. The newer VS pumps let you select a prime speed so if you do not need the top speed to create your prime, you can set it lower and again all in the interest of lowing operating costs by using less electricity.

Thank you for your input. I just spent the last 3 hrs reading and I think I’ll go with the Intelliflo 3hp (11056 or 011028). The Superflo ( directly replace Hayward pump) costs almost the same and the dimensions is definitely not a drop-in replacement. 8 speed is a plus.

Reactions: HermanTX
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.