Advice on what to do with pool contractor $14000 unexpected charge

Oh, the above also applies to your worry about the extra, small excavation you asked for. Unless the contractor issued a change order for that, too, he can't charge you for that, either. That's not to say you shouldn't pay for that, that's up to your own personal ethics. I'm just saying he can't legally charge for it.
any idea of these change order rules apply in the state of Florida?

any idea of these change order rules apply in the state of Florida?
No, sorry, I just know a little about CA law. But Florida has a licensing board. Contact them to see if they have staff available to help you with those sorts of questions. CA's equivalent, and researching on the internet, is where I learned what I know. Start here:

PS. It does appear that Florida law does recognize the concept of change orders. From a very quickie google:

"A change order is defined in Florida Statutes section 713.01 as labor, services, or materials for improving real property authorized by the owner and added to or deleted from labor, services, or materials covered by a previous contract between the same parties. Nov 11, 2019"

Reactions: katiejean13
I include change order language in my larger construction contracts including a provision that requires they notify me in writing within 48 hrs after they know it exists. Also, no work other than the agreed, written scope will be paid for unless prior written approval of a change order is obtained.

Chris

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
badger them for warranty service on my pool cover which already has small holes from dragging over the spa dam wall. :LOL:
I think you'll find pinholes are not covered by warranty. If the spa dam is causing wear on the cover, the spa dam needs to be smoother. My old spa dam caused pinholes. When I replaced the tiles during a remodel, I got smoother tiles with quarter-rounds for the cover to drag over. Now I no longer get pinholes.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.