Advice on my Levels?

Apr 26, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Just had my water tested (I DO own the pool test kit, I wanted some more solid numbers to back up my test)...
Adjusted Alkalinity: 172.9
PH: 7.9
FC: 0.0
Calcium Hardness: 400
Stabilizer: 20
Phosphate: 1000

Obviously, I need to get my CYA up. I was thinking in the low 80's, since, I'm in AZ and the pool gets pounded directly with sunlight all day. Also need to add chlroine.
How about the Phosphates? Pool store wants me to add some stuff in - I DO have some black and now green algae (the green I assume is from the low CYA allowing my chlorine to burn off soo quick, but the black I've had for MONTHS and it's STUBBORN).
Anything else?

I DO own the pool test kit, I wanted some more solid numbers to back up my test
Why would you go to the place with the least solid numbers if you want solid numbers?

We do not comment on pool store test results. Please post up the numbers from your own kit and please stop going to the pool store. They are sending you down paths that end with sales rather than fixing the blindingly obvious problems.

I will let the experts opine, but your 0 FC is NO BUENO. I would not trust the pool stores test but would recommend posting YOUR numbers.

I DO own the pool test kit

Which one?

Obviously, I need to get my CYA up. I was thinking in the low 80's

First read up on the SLAM process to eliminate the algae. Then (optionally) raise your CYA to 30ppm before doing the SLAM. Raise CYA higher only after the algae's gone -- because if you raise it before the SLAM, you'll need lots more chorine to get rid of the algae.

Also need to add chlrorine

Yes. After the SLAM, follow the FC/CYA chart.

How about the Phosphates?

Meh. Algae needs phosphorus to grow, but eliminating the phosphates in your pool won't kill the algae. So you need to do the SLAM. And after the SLAM kills all the algae and you're maintaining FC at the correct level, it won't matter whether there's any phosphorus in your pool, because there won't ever be any algae to eat it.

Reactions: Mdragger88
I DO have some black and now green algae (the green I assume is from the low CYA allowing my chlorine to burn off soo quick, but the black I've had for MONTHS and it's STUBBORN).
Algae is the product of no chlorine in the water or free chlorine that is too low relative to the CYA content of the water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.