Advice on design

Glorious Hamster

Nov 30, 2023
Atlanta
Hi all!
We're ready to sign a contract on our new pool in Atlanta but would love y'alls opinion and advice on the design. A few things to note:
  • The bench along the deep end will be removed (see point 2) but we definitely want deep-end benches, suggestions on location?
  • We do have kids, 6 & 12. I know they'll want to jump (feet first) into the deep end from the 2ft raised wall you see, so I'd love feedback on depth.
    • There is a 2ft wall on the other side of the pool, too. So it's in a little corner.
  • Our yard is large for my area, but small generally. We want the pool to be tucked away as much as possible but still nice to look at.
  • We also want to really maximize the shallow end for general adult hang-out space.
  • Ignore the landscaping in the illustration, I've attached a better picture of what it will look like in real life.
  • the pool is planned to be 14x30, depth still TBD.
  • Spa is 7x7.5
  • We would welcome any "luxury" touches that might prevent it from looking like a rectangle hole in the ground.

Attachments

• IMG_0081.jpg
    IMG_0081.jpg
    653.3 KB · Views: 48
  • lattice-astro-turf-tiles.jpg
    lattice-astro-turf-tiles.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 49
Welcome to TFP
It's a nice layout. We enjoy looking out at the pool so no need to tuck it out of view.
Start at 4 ft depth at bottom of steps. Target 6ft deep depth or you may want 6.5ft. Ensure depth is measured from bottom of pool to middle of skimmer.
Have 2 skimmers and have each independently plumbed back to the equipment pad
If you have a bench on each of the side walls in the deep end, you will create a natural swim lane in the middle to go from the spa to the deep end without hitting a bench.
Use a large 400sq ft cartridge filter. It reduces the time between cleanings. Consider a 500sq ft if you have the budget
Those deck jets can be noisy. Search the forum for feedback on them by other members. Ensure each has its own valve to control the flow to each.
What type of automation do you plan to have?
Are you going with a saltwater pool?

Just my opinion fwiw - my pool is 6.5‘ deep and is barely deep enough for 5 young nephews to jump and roughhouse in off the deck. If your kids are going to be jumping from a raised elevation I’d suggest no shallower than 8 ft.

Just my opinion fwiw - my pool is 6.5‘ deep and is barely deep enough for 5 young nephews to jump and roughhouse in off the deck. If your kids are going to be jumping from a raised elevation I’d suggest no shallower than 8 ft.
I hope I'm not hijacking this thread. We just had our gunite done. Our PB advised us not to go too deep so as to have more shallow chill/play zone in our pool. He said 5.5' is good. I'm kind of freaking out- we have 9 and 12 year old boys and I hope it isn't too shallow for their jumping/playing at the deep end.

Reactions: HermanTX