Advice needed- Vacation, a cover, and a Stenner pump

mrshollyhall

Dec 22, 2020
Texas
Okay, so I am going out of town soon and will be gone for 2 weeks. I currently have a Stenner pump that injects .3 gallons of 10% chlorine a day, to keep it around 2-3 ppm. All levels are fine (minus hard water but that's a city water issue) and it stays clean and clear. I get 4-6 hours of full sun a day, shaded the rest, and temps will be in the 90's-100s when we are gone (mid June in West Texas). The water stays 86 degrees, regulated with a heat pump.

When I go out of town, we are covering the pool with the mesh safety cover (an entry level anchor mesh cover that says it blocks 95% of light, but who knows how accurate that is). This is because I don't want to have to rely on people to have to come and refill water or empty the skimmer, basically. I know that the cover will reduce sunlight and trap in some heat, but how can I figure out how much less chlorine I need per day while I am gone? I really do not want to overdo it because our liner is about a year old and I am terrified to over chlorinate and bleach it. But I am assuming I won't need as much as I use now.

Advice on how much to inject per day on a covered pool if I currently do .3 gallons uncovered? Anything else I am overlooking?

Thanks!

Do a test run shortly before leaving. Get a 3 day average while covered and use that as your target.
That sounds like the smart move, but I am not wanting to give up 3 days of swimming! My summer swim time won't be very long after this trip, so I'm trying to maximize pool time beforehand haha. Of course, the risk is to come home with a pool that takes a few days to clear up, I suppose!

For anyone curious (or finding this thread in the future with a similar wonder), here's what I did:

-covered the pool with mesh safety cover
- changed chlorine from .3 gallons a day to .06 a day (so like 1/5 ish of normal)
-topped water to almost the top of skimmer
-left and enjoyed the 2 week vacation!

While we were gone, there was a HUGE 2-3 inch rainstorm (I worried the pool would overflow since I topped it up right before we left, but security cameras showed it was okay). Most days were 100+, they even had two days at 115!!! So it was HOT.

We came home, undid the cover, and saw a blue clear pool with very fine debris. One robot vacuum session took care of it. Chlorine read at 2ish (low normal for me, but decent), and the ph was 7.8 (a smidge high for me but not horrible). The water level was about an inch below where I left it, so there was some evaporation but MUCH less than normal.

So...it worked out!

Reactions: cpp80 and Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.