Advice/ideas needed for AGP modifications- crazy welcomed

Re: Advice/ideas needed for AGP modifications- crazy welcome

I always thought if I had an oval AGP, I'd make both ends the same depth and have the deeper portion be in the middle...thinking that water volleyball would be easier to work out, height-challenged kids in the back on both sides and taller ones closer to the net. You could mount the slide in the middle too? Your project sounds great, but the relationship with your husband sounds better, "Luckily, my husband gave up trying to make me a reasonable person a few years ago." (I'm about 17 years in and haven't gotten that far yet!) Good luck with everything, looking forward to updates, and pictures. :wave: (We did finally get ours installed last week but have been too busy with all the rain 'opportunities' and haven't posted our own pictures yet :oops: )

Glock said:
How about a dolphin? lol

Lol, my hobby is saltwater aquaria, the kids ask for a dolphin all the time. I think a protein skimmer for a 28k gallon "tank" would run me over budget ;)

OurFirstPool said:
I always thought if I had an oval AGP, I'd make both ends the same depth and have the deeper portion be in the middle...thinking that water volleyball would be easier to work out, height-challenged kids in the back on both sides and taller ones closer to the net. You could mount the slide in the middle too? Your project sounds great, but the relationship with your husband sounds better, "Luckily, my husband gave up trying to make me a reasonable person a few years ago." (I'm about 17 years in and haven't gotten that far yet!) Good luck with everything, looking forward to updates, and pictures. :wave: (We did finally get ours installed last week but have been too busy with all the rain 'opportunities' and haven't posted our own pictures yet :oops: )

I think what I will be doing with depth is ; 2' ledge around deep end with a 16' shallow end. I have a lot of family close by, and would anticipate having at least 3 kids under 5yo for the next 100 years or so. One thing I've always disliked about my sister's pools was a small shallow end.

And, my husband knew my sister, bil, and father for almost 10 years before I moved back to the area. I remind him all the time that he had fair warning before marrying in to this crazy family ;). I think we got to "giving up" about 6 years into it :)

All these suggestions have been super. I have a crazy idea, I know it is a stretch, but...

When I excavate for the pool, does anyone think it is possible to work a "tanning ledge/swimout" in to the shallow end. I really liked the splash pad idea, and I'm wondering if I can make it IN the pool. I don't mind some wrinkling, but I don't want to create extreme stress that would significantly compromise the integrity of the liner. The thought is to create a 4' ledge about 18" deep across one end.

Keeping in mind I will have an expandable liner and only expect a 5 yr life (though more would be nice) on the whole thing.

Thanks

I have been considering a combination stone built in grille, smoker, and wood fired boiler for the pool. The tube bundle would be removable for grilling, a damper plate to divert the smoke to the smoker box and the grille top will have about 6 square foot cooking area made from 3/8 stainless round stock, and a plate steel flat top griddle. I found a grille plan in the food and grille section of this forum that I have begun to modify. It sure will be nice to be able to heat in the spring and fall for nothing but the labor to haul fire wood.

esdd said:
I have been considering a combination stone built in grille, smoker, and wood fired boiler for the pool. The tube bundle would be removable for grilling, a damper plate to divert the smoke to the smoker box and the grille top will have about 6 square foot cooking area made from 3/8 stainless round stock, and a plate steel flat top griddle. I found a grille plan in the food and grille section of this forum that I have begun to modify. It sure will be nice to be able to heat in the spring and fall for nothing but the labor to haul fire wood.

I haven't looked at the grille section yet, but your plan sounds very cool. I have been landscaping with rocks found on our property (a full ton so far, and I only plowed 1acre this year). It is mostly quartz, but we have a lot of fieldstone too. I also raise chickens, and my husband doesn't grill, so I am thinking of a smal grill for burgers, and a larger area for rotisserie chicken.
I should probably get the pool in the ground first, though ;)

Actually, after the storm that just rolled through here, I could have firewood for the next 3 years. We had to haul trees off the road just so my husband could get to work yesterday.

esdd said:

I don't know about putting a snorkel IN my pool (as it is a true ABG) but a poolside boiler - nice. My woodpile (one of them) is almost right next to the pool.

-dave

I know you have rejected an in-ground vinyl pool and have also said you only expect to get 5 years from your pool, but take into consideration that an in-ground vinyl pool can last 20 to 30 years and will not cost 4 to 5 times more than a ABG.

With you wanting a tanning ledge you might want to look into an on ground pool, they are basically a hybrid pool and can have poured concrete or sand base.
They usually have steel walls with vinyl liner and can be completely in ground or partial.
With a poured concrete base I am sure they could do a tanning section or 0 entry.
The 0 entry would be cool as long as space provides.

Edit- just saw your budget is about 6k, last I knew the on grounds ran about 8k but the added cost of labor would kill your budget

My husband and I both vetoed anything with a vinyl liner in the "permanent" category when we got estimates a few years ago. We have 2 dogs, and our oldest just turned 10, so we don't want to invest too much into something that is potentially fragile. Although the budget is about 6k, only half of that is going to the physical pool.
Anyway, I think I have decided on a 18x33 with a deep end, and a 12' round splash pool that is only about 2' deep. I would form the kiddie pool with concrete and plumb it like a standard inground. That way, I can create a wide bench around it for adults that need to be right next to their little kids, and the older kids can be as obnoxious as they want in the "big" pool. It raises the amount we spend, but, if we continue to use the big pool, we will go gunite in 5 years, and the kiddie pool can be converted to a hot tub. If we hate the whole thing, we can fill in the big pool, and convert the kiddie pool into a koi pond ;)
The husband is a little less enthusiastic about experiments, and is still pushing for a gunite. I guess we'll see at Christmas if I'm ordering a pool or scheduling shotcrete.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Just in case anyone is interested, I modified the project a bit, and am starting step 1. today. I did convince husband to let me try out my fabulous idea - though it did involve me trading in my fancy SUV for a much cheaper mini van. If that is what gets me the "almost" pool of my dreams, it's worth it. The whole project will likely take about 8 months, just in time for next season.
1) move existing 15' metal framed intex and partially bury it. I have obsessively researched this idea for a few weeks (including pond forums) and I have a plan. Dig down about 2-2.5 feet, construct simple and cheap retaining wall/collar with scrap plywood. Place 1" rigid foam insulating sheets as base material and around perimeter. Small concrete pavers under uprights.
2) install 18x33' AGP in the ground, leaving about 8-10" above existing grade on high side. This pool will be about 50% deep end (6') and 50% standard (48" pool wall).
3) build up area to include both pools. Pending intex condition, paver patio will be installed. "blue pool" will be about 2' higher than steel, this allows for a kiddie slide from one to another with a waterfall feature on each side (and possibly including the slide surface). Deck jets would be installed along length of steel pool on the far side.

That's about it, except for landscaping, etc. I would also like to include a fire pit and koi pond, but those are "down the road" projects.

If the intex doesn't hold up well enough (I.e. cavein) I will replace it with a concrete version as a DIY project after steel pool is installed and functional.

I will try to post pictures for posterity ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.