Adjusting pump runtime / speed and SWG generation % setting

whatdidigetmyselfinto

Jun 6, 2019
Ottawa, ON
I have a VS pump and have been favouring lower speeds. I have time periods where it run low, and others where it runs relatively fast.
With the low speeds I have noticed:
1. surface skimming is really slow and arguably not very effective.
2. SWG is not kicking in at these low levels.
A side note : I also wonder if the SWG "%" setting takes into account these low flow conditions when calculating % generation or disregards them. Trying to get a feel for how "active" the SWG is....

Now I am thinking, I should keep my pump speed above that minimum SWG generation level to avoid the % uncertainty. I would be making better use of the pump time, for both filtration and SWG generation, and drop those relatively faster time periods. Constant low rpm, above the SWG generation threshold, adjust time and SWG percentage, done.

As recommended Determine Pump Run Time I think it is reasonable to split the run time to get better coverage for varying conditions throughout the day.

Are my conclusions reasonable? Do you see a reason for needing faster pump time periods?
Cheers,

You are making this more complicated then it needs to be.

You should always be running your pump at a speed fast enough to keep the SWG generating.

The entire time you are running your pump you should let your SWG generate chlorine.

You run your pump for a purpose - skimmer, filtering, or chlorine generation.

Skimmers need greater flow/RPM then SWG generation.

SWG systems do not know about the flow rate other then it is adequate or not. Once there is adequate flow the SWG generates chlorine according to the % setting.

Lower your rpm until your flow light comes on for the SWG then raise it a few hundred rpm. That’s your “floor” for SWG.

If skimmers are skimming at that level great! If not - can you adjust main drain to skimmer balance? Is water level ok for skimmer and weir? Are your weir doors working?

If all that is ok - you may have to have a “high skim” once or twice a day. I run my pump 1000 rpm 24/7 and then have a 30 minute period of higher rpm’s for skimming right before kids get home from school and before family wakes up on weekends.

running as low as you can with a VS/SWG combo (with a safety factor) is the most cost efficient

W,

I run my pump 24/7, mostly at 1200 RPM, for less than $20 bucks a month. At that speed my SWCG is on and my skimmers work just fine, but as you say a little slower.

Do you have a heater?? If so, you will have to run a little faster to make chlorine, most likely at 1500 to 1800 RPM.

Do your skimmers have working weir doors? Skimmers without weir doors are only about 50% effective as they should be.

There is no reason to run the pump if you are not making chlorine. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: BDY
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.