Adjusting Ph levels for SLAM

achenx75

Jun 4, 2022
Central New Jersey
Hi all,

How important is it to adjust Ph levels for the SLAM process? My Ph is at around 6.6-6.8 right now and the pool is very green. Should I be adding soda ash and running the filter a bit before I start the SLAM process? Or can I do the adjustments after I pass the OCLT?

I would get your pH up to the 7s at least. How did your pH get so low??
The reason we specify getting the pH to 7.2 to start a SLAM process is because at higher levels of FC (over 10) the pH test is invalid. So you won't be able to make changes to pH during the SLAM process. We just want that element to be out of the way to take it off the problem list.

If you're green, don't bother doing an OCLT as you will just be wasting reagents. Do it after the pool is crystal clear.

Maddie :flower:

I would get your pH up to the 7s at least. How did your pH get so low??
The reason we specify getting the pH to 7.2 to start a SLAM process is because at higher levels of FC (over 10) the pH test is invalid. So you won't be able to make changes to pH during the SLAM process. We just want that element to be out of the way to take it off the problem list.

If you're green, don't bother doing an OCLT as you will just be wasting reagents. Do it after the pool is crystal clear.

No idea how it got like this! I just bought the house lol. CYA is also 110 so I'm assuming it's from all the trichlor chlorine tablets in the shed.

And okay, that makes sense now. I assume 7.2-7.6 is the range that SLAMing works best. I wasn't aware we couldn't adjust it during the process, I just thought the readings would be inaccurate.

The test, if done while FC >10, usually comes back "high".....yet it truly isn't. So you'd be wasting time trying to alter a false pH reading.

Now that you say trichlor pucks- they are VERY acidic. Explains the pH entirely!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.