Hatman52

Apr 27, 2022
Central Ohio
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I'm replacing an Intex Krystal Clear 925 gph filter pump with an Intex Krystal Clear 2650 gph filter pump with SWG on my Intex Ultra XTR 16' x 48" pool. I have a Hayward skimmer installed, and have the current filter pump set up with just the skimmer as the only intake, with one return. Considering the additional capacity of the new filter pump, should I plumb one of the currently blocked off intakes into the system? What's the reason for doing or not doing this?

Thanks!

IMG_0686.JPG

Hey Hatman,

I think it's always a good thing to have a secondary intake. This way if your water level drops or the skimmer gets blocked your pump won't run dry. With the more expensive equipment that is definitely preferable.

I would just use an Intex valve on both or a T-valve between them and see how the skimmer does.
In order to have full control over the flow on skimmer and intake a 3-way-valve would be best. Something like a Jandy NeverLube. However with the Intex hoses it's not as easy to integrate.

Agree with above post. You certainly don’t need the blocked one, but nice to have. Put a valve on it and you have the choice to use it or not.

Another good reason to install a secondary intake is the ability to attach a dedicated vacuum hose. Using the skimmer attachment for a vacuum hose will collapse the skimmer when larger pumps are used. Happened to me - my whole skimmer housing was sucked flat. I couldn't believe it didn't crack. Put shut off valves on both the skimmer and secondary intake lines. Shut the skimmer valve for extra suction when using the vacuum.

Reactions: Mdragger88
My vote is to leave it as-is. All it will do is take away skimming power from the skimmer and I don't feel the side wall port does anything meaningfully for filtering.

My current pool came with a 1,000 gph filter pump and it skimmed poorly. I upgraded to the 2,500 gph intex cartridge filter and it is drastically better, no issues. But I also wouldn't want to reduce the amount of suction thru the skimmer.

Just my 0.02

So long as you’re using the intake that came with the pool (the one with the grate on it) it is fine to leave it. As mentioned just use a valve to adjust the suction as needed.

Another good reason to install a secondary intake is the ability to attach a dedicated vacuum hose. Using the skimmer attachment for a vacuum hose will collapse the skimmer when larger pumps are used. Happened to me - my whole skimmer housing was sucked flat. I couldn't believe it didn't crack. Put shut off valves on both the skimmer and secondary intake lines. Shut the skimmer valve for extra suction when using the vacuum.
What skimmer did you have that was able to smoosh flat and not crack and what was the pump rating?

All of the skimmers I have had for above ground pools are rigid pvc type material that will not flex, only shatter.

What skimmer did you have that was able to smoosh flat and not crack and what was the pump rating?

All of the skimmers I have had for above ground pools are rigid pvc type material that will not flex, only shatter.
It was a skimmer I salvaged from my first above ground pool, I think it was a SummerWaves 14 foot pool.
I have changed the pool to an Intex 16 footer, but I could not live with the skimmer/pump combo that came with the pool.
I gutted the skimmer from the first pool and attached pvc fittings to it for hard plumbing with a 1,000 gph pump and sand filter.
The skimmer works, but is definitely not high quality. When it dies from U/V exposure I will get a better aftermarket unit.
I was using a skimmer plate with the vacuum hose attachment when the collapse happened.
The pump totally collapsed it when the hose became obstructed with debris. I thought for sure it was a goner but it popped back out when I turned off the pump and has been working fine ever since. :)

• Wow
Reactions: rstarke
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.