adding unions to my sand filter

MrBfromNC

Gold Supporter
Bronze Supporter
May 23, 2018
Fuquay-Varina, NC
Hi folks, sorry I haven't been too active on the forum this past year but I've been using the TFP method ever since we installed our pool four years ago. Even when I get lazy and neglect it until late April, it always bounces back quickly using the SLAM method taught here and running my filter a little extra for 5-7 days. But now I've run into an issue and was hoping you may be able to help me out.

I've noticed that the pressure on my Pentair has been building up into what I consider fairly extreme numbers (like 50+ PSI). I'm guessing I need to do a deep clean on my filter but the folks that installed it did NOT add any unions for me to easily disconnect it. So my question is: Do I just need to purchase two of these bad boys from Amazon in order to install them onto my incoming and outgoing 1.5 inch PVC lines? Is it fairly easy to do with a little bit of PVC adhesive and a hacksaw? I've tried doing a search for adding unions to filters but several posts here show some type of threaded union and I don't think that will fit my application. I've included pictures of my setup for easier reference.

Attachments

• IMG_0465.jpg
    IMG_0465.jpg
    768.3 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0466.jpg
    IMG_0466.jpg
    588.7 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0467.jpg
    IMG_0467.jpg
    419.1 KB · Views: 30
Oh, NOW I realize for what purpose the threaded unions are designed. If I wanted to cut the PVC pipe RIGHT AT THE SIDE of the multiport, I could replace those couplers with unions instead. I obviously need to read up on these more.

The first time I ever did any PVC repair work was installing unions on each side of my sand filter. It was kind of intimidating at first but it wasn't that hard. I was mainly concerned with the PVC glue hardening before I had everything in place.

Reactions: MrBfromNC
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.