adding stabilizer to pool

There isn't very much water flow around a floater so it will take longer to dissolve compared to hanging it in a sock over a return flow. Also, one could put it into a sock or T-shirt in the skimmer and would then know when it fully dissolved -- there's more than one way to add it to the skimmer and one need not add it directly going to the filter. Just note that if you block the skimmer flow, you should make sure there are other suction sources such as another skimmer, floor drains, or a skimmer bypass inlet port (that's what my skimmer has).

Hey guys! First post here. I'm a brand new homeowner (and more importantly new saltwater pool owner). I am clueless with maintaining a pool, so I've been reading through here (this place is awesome).

I came upon this thread, and I keep seeing this sock and skimmer method. I'm more of a visual guy, and I'm also scared of screwing up my pool. So I was hoping someone could answer my questions. The local pool store told me to add 5lbs of stabilizer to my 22,000 gallon saltwater pool.

1) 5 lbs is obviously a lot, so do I just divide it between the 2 skimmers?
2) do I just leave the sock(s) to sit in the skimmer baskets? Or do I take the basket out and tie the sock to something?
3) I see y'all suggest a 24 hour pump run afterward. Does this clock start the moment I put the stabilizer in or does it start after it dissolves?

Thanks so much!

Hey guys! First post here. I'm a brand new homeowner (and more importantly new saltwater pool owner). I am clueless with maintaining a pool, so I've been reading through here (this place is awesome).

I came upon this thread, and I keep seeing this sock and skimmer method. I'm more of a visual guy, and I'm also scared of screwing up my pool. So I was hoping someone could answer my questions. The local pool store told me to add 5lbs of stabilizer to my 22,000 gallon saltwater pool.

1) 5 lbs is obviously a lot, so do I just divide it between the 2 skimmers?
2) do I just leave the sock(s) to sit in the skimmer baskets? Or do I take the basket out and tie the sock to something?
3) I see y'all suggest a 24 hour pump run afterward. Does this clock start the moment I put the stabilizer in or does it start after it dissolves?

Thanks so much!

This thread only slightly bumped bc I needed moderator approval (I'm glad the policy is there to get rid of trolls). Any suggestions?

How long has it been there, and have you been squeezing it to speed up dissolving it? I squeeze mine and its pretty much dissolved about an hour or two later. I'd then go swimming ! I figure if squeezing it didn't affect my hands neither would it being mostly dissolved.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
There is a possibility of damaging the pool surface if you just pour it in the pool.I recommend putting the cyanuric acid in a sock and placing the sock in a skimmer. As long as the sock doesn't completely block the skimmer that method works great and is reasonably simple. Remember to run the pump for 24 hours after adding CYA and don't backwash/clean the filter for a week.
How much CYA on a vinyl liner does it take to damage it? We just replaced our liner and we are very new to pool chemistry. Today I went to get our water tested. They told us our CYA is 0 and I needed to add 10 lbs. of granular cyanuric acid. After reading the directions on the bucket it said to broadcast it directly into the pool. I got about 2 pounds into it and stopped because I noticed nothing was dissolving and acid sitting on the liner seemed bad. We then consulted this forum and spent about an hour vacuuming until we couldn't find any anymore. I am sure we missed some on the liner every now and then. I plan to run our filter for 48 hrs nonstop but now I am nervous we just weakened our liner. I may be a bit paranoid but I am not sure how damaging it could be. I appreciate any insight. This forum has been awesome for us.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.