Park City, UT
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45 Plus
I was tired of the janky hose fittings, leaks, converters, and all the other fun that usually come with non-permanent above ground pool plumbing and decided to go ahead and move to PVC and a good SWG (I had an Intex SWG last year, it worked fine but I burnt through the cell).

I need a few more elbows to have the supply side be hard piped and have a couple of adjustments to make later in the week when my RJ-45+ gets here. I want to get the double 90* from the sand filter out and get a coupler put in after the sand filter. I also noticed that the multiport pool outlet threads have a crack and are leaking. I also need a new spider gasket, so I ordered a new valve and it's on the way. I also plan on getting an A/C condenser pad for the filter and pump to be mounted on. Instead of the threaded couplers (which was all my Home Depot had on hand) I'll try and find some glue ones. That should save at least a few inches on the vertical section out of the pool and maybe let me get rid of the double 90*. Lastly, I'm thinking about running a conduit for power. The extension cord is getting a bit... old.

I don't have any way to scientifically measure, but it seems to me that there is a LOT more flow on my outlet. Also no more slow drips or minor leaks from my plumbing. I'll update once the SWG gets here.

Did some water measurements and still need to bump up the CYA and work on getting my TA down a bit. Winter was long this year (I had snow on the ground from Nov 20 - April 5) but the water temp is already about 60*. There's lots of leaves and dirt to scoop and vacuum too.

2023-04-30_11-29-16_350-2.jpg

Great work thus far.
Good idea to remove the double 90 - it appears you can come straight out horizontally after you install your new multi-position valve.
If you have the opportunity, you may wish to remove that blue handle ball valve and replace with a Jandy 2-way diverted valve. It will allow you to repair the valve if needed in the future. The ball valve can only be replaced - which is a pain when it fails as it is non-repairable.
Also, like your idea to do a proper conduit for your power needs. A licensed electrician will know the codes as to how far from the pool he needs to set that up then connect to the pump.

Good work. :goodjob: The nice thing about PVC is that you can always cut and rearrange things later if needed.

On a side note, don't think we didn't notice all the purple primer everywhere. Looked like a crime scene. Ha ha. If it makes you feel any better, I did some gluing this weekend and my fingers are still purple. :laughblue:

• Haha
Reactions: Newdude
The primer gets literally everywhere I swear. And it’s impossible to open a new bottle of the stuff without spilling it everywhere. My wife reminded me that my hands were dirty and I should wash them. Unfortunately the dirt is glued onto my hands at this point!

I was also on auto pilot when I was gluing the union. I primered the outside of it thinking it was a little short bit of pipe before I realized and then primered the inside too.

I got my new SWG installed after a few days of chemical fun. A few things that I've learned/near future plans:

• 45k gallon SWG cells are big and heavy
    • I cracked my new multiport valve outlet from the new weight of the cell putting pressure on the outlet
      • Hence the 5 gallon bucket holding up the cell for now to relieve pressure
  • A single return is a bit limiting
    • I should probably run another return on the other side of my pool. One return causes some pretty decent pressure in my post-pump system and limits flow
    • This is why my flow sensor is horizontal, I'm planning on turning my post-filter pipe 90* and teeing it for two returns
      • This should also help with the whole pressure/weight thing as I'll be able to use the ground
  • I need to run a more permanent power situation and maybe some sort of shack/shelter for the equipment
    • Most VSP are 220v so I should probably run a 220v circuit
    • We have pretty harsh winters here (second picture is from January and you can almost see the corner of the pool, third pic is March)
      • Some sort of shelter for the filter, pump, electrical, and SWG electronics is a good idea
  • I should get a VSP
    • My 0.75HP pump is doing okay for now, but needing to run it 24/7 or figure out a dual timer setup or some other way of having my SWG and the pump running at the right times is a pain
    • I'll probably save money with an SWG
  • I should look into a cartridge filter
    • The sand filter does OK, but the cartridge filters sound pretty nice long term=

Thing I already knew but these pictures/projects re-enforce:
  • My Border Collie is crazy
  • I need to get some more landscaping done

Attachments

• 2023-05-05_16-10-04_557.jpg
    2023-05-05_16-10-04_557.jpg
    882.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 2023-01-03_09-15-58_470.jpeg
    2023-01-03_09-15-58_470.jpeg
    215.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1825.jpg
    IMG_1825.jpg
    446 KB · Views: 9
Reactions: Decoy205
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.