LisaBgame

Jun 19, 2022
MI
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi!!! I’ve followed TFPs recommendations to a T this summer and have had the best water I’ve ever had in the past 10 years. I’m so thankful for your guidance

My issue is - I don’t have smooth water. I do generally keep my chlorine on the higher end of the acceptable range but I’ve let it drift down. I’d like to add salt but I’m so afraid of messing up a good thing.

Can u give me step by step instructions for how to add this?

Current readings:
FC 5
CC 0
pH 7.8
TA 80
CH 150
CYA 50

* interestingly my water was smooth for about a day after I added stabilizer to get my CYA up. I use only liquid chlorine in my pool for sanitizing

Thank you for your help!!!

Many people add salt to the water for “feel”.
Around 2000 ppm is usually enough.
That said, you should check to see how much salt you already have in the water as all forms of manually added chlorine contain salt 🧂 as well as muriatic acid, calcium chloride & the sweat & urea from the humans who use the pool 😉

You would then use
PoolMath to calculate how much salt is needed to get you to your target 🎯 of 2000ppm.

Be cautious of flirting with minimum for fc - there are really not any upsides but many downsides. Best to stay in target range to prevent other conditions from dropping your fc too low.
FC/CYA Levels

Reactions: LisaBgame
Hmm.. testing and adding chemicals is typically precise and we want people to avoid blindly dumping things in their pools.

This may be one of the few times I would think you do not have to be super precise. Yes, your pool has salt in it already and it could be at 500ppm or could be at 1,500 ppm but if you are just going for "feel" I would do the following:
- Add 1,000 ppm of salt (7 40 lb bags for your pool)
- Give it a few days and see if you like the feel. If you like it, then do not add any more salt.
- If you don't like it, add a bit more. Note I would not add more than 3,000 ppm in total since you likely have some salt in your pool already.

I actually haven’t been in it cuz I’ve had to raise the chlorine the past couple of days due to slippery bottom and a lot of pool activity in a short time. I hope to get in tomorrow

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I actually haven’t been in it cuz I’ve had to raise the chlorine the past couple of days due to slippery bottom and a lot of pool activity in a short time. I hope to get in tomorrow
It is safe for swimmers, equipment, & surfaces with fc anywhere between minimum & slam level for your cya so long as you can see the bottom of the pool for swimmer safety. It is not recommended to exceed slam level.
FC/CYA Levels

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.