Adding Pool Steps

jfenim

Aug 5, 2019
Rhode Island
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
I have an inground pool with 2 ladders currently and no steps. I'm having the liner replaced this spring and intend to add steps inside the pool as I do not have the room to make a cutout extending out of the current 16x32 shape. I'm planning on adding them in the corner of the shallow end and was wondering what is required for steps height and tread depth. I want to minimize the number of steps so it takes up less room in the pool. I have read that 10" is the max height and 12" is the minimum tread depth. Also, is there any requirement on how long the shortest step needs to be? Being in the corner of the pool the top step is going to be shorter and if it has a minimum size that will dictate the size of the rest of the steps. Thanks in advance.

There is no “requirement “ for residential pool steps if there is nothing in your local building codes, which I doubt.

10” rise and 12” depth will work fine. What you are describing is wedding cake design steps with steps getting wider as you go down.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.