Adding new light would be a different size than existing light

NicoleIvy2004

Aug 31, 2021
Tampa, Florida
Pool Size
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I'm getting my free-form pool redone (finally). Currently, there is only a light in the deep end (and one in the spa). I asked the pool builders (same guys who built the pool back in the 1990s) what it'd cost to put in another light on the shallow end and they gave me the quote. But they told me it'd be a smaller size light compared to the big old style of my original. He said it's typical of pools to have different sized lights.

Do you agree? Would it look terrible to have the deep end with its original light and then a newer smaller light in the shallow end?

I'm getting my free-form pool redone (finally). Currently, there is only a light in the deep end (and one in the spa). I asked the pool builders (same guys who built the pool back in the 1990s) what it'd cost to put in another light on the shallow end and they gave me the quote. But they told me it'd be a smaller size light compared to the big old style of my original. He said it's typical of pools to have different sized lights.

Do you agree? Would it look terrible to have the deep end with its original light and then a newer smaller light in the shallow end?
Would it look terrible to you? Would you be able to live with that difference? That's all that really matters. Buyer's remorse lasts a long time, especially on something that can't be easily changed.
It is only typical of a pool to have different size lights when one is in the pool and one is in the spa, not in the same body of water.

You can do a large niche, a small niche or you can do a nicheless light, which uses a 1.5" fitting.

The difference is the size hole they will need to cut in the concrete.

1708966379987.png

1708966480809.png

Thanks for your thoughts.

The pool was built in 1991 and has not been refinished since! Yes, it's amazing it lasted this long.
Anyway, the pool builder quoted $1,800 to install the new light that would be smaller. I asked him about matching the size to the old light in the deep end and he said it's doable but would cost more due to needing more drilling out. At that point is when he added that it's fairly common to have different size lights in the pool. But I dunno. If I can't decide, I might just skip adding it all together.

I do not know the type of light I have currently for those asking on model specifics and such. lol It's old and from the '90s. haha

Adding an existing light means drilling a hole, or jackhammering a hole, through the concrete shell and then trenching a path back to the pad to wire it up. The larger the light niche, the more work you’re talking about and, if the contractor isn’t careful about doing it, the higher the risk you have of creating a leak. It’s not a gamble I would take lightly.

Perhaps redesign the pool and surrounding area in such a way that an extra light isn’t necessary. “Old pools” have style and yours was clearly well built if it went nearly 30 years without a problem. I wouldn’t go messing around with that just for a light. And, most color changing LED lights nowadays are total junk and have to be replaced frequently (2-4 year lifetimes) at high cost (hundreds of dollars plus labor to pull a new light cord). In my opinion, “old school” halogen lights stand the test of time and are infinitely more reliable than the LED junk. I have an “old” light (halogen light circa 2013) and it’s gone 11 years without an issue. Search for posts on TFP about using the phrase “color changing LED” and see how many frustrated pool owners are out there complaining about their lights constantly dying and having to be replaced.

Just food for though. Good luck on the remodel and I’m sure it will look great when you’re done.

Reactions: 1poolman1
Thanks, Matt! The more I think about it, the more I think I'll skip it. The few times we've swam at night, I don't remember feeling like the pool *really needed* more light. More-so than that, I had the idea to expand the pool deck out.

The guy said he could do it so there was cut-out around the existing Robellini palms, and I think this would help a lot in keeping my pool clean. In the past, mulch was used in these "garden beds" around the pool, and no matter what, mulch would end up in the pool. I can't plant grass around the palms according to plant experts, but leaving enough circumference open at the base of these trees should be fine to include into the pool deck.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.