Adding LED lights to Water feature during build

DATX80

Dec 8, 2023
Austin, TX
My water feature is under construction and the mason doesn't do any electrical but is willing to make channels/conduits so I can add lighting later. Here are my parameters:
  • I have 3 CMP sheer descents: 24", 36", 24", the middle one being higher than the others in a 3-step design (see below)
  • The CMP descents that come with lighting are way too expensive but I love that they make a controller that works w/ Jandy (I have an Aqualink RS and watercolors LED lights in the pool already).
  • I would like to add strips/bars the size of the descents in the overhang of the capstones (mason can put a channel in there to make them flush). Alternatively if there were a submersible option I think it would look better for the lights to be in the back of the descent housing (too bad they aren't transparent)
Was wondering if there were any aftermarket LED strips/bars that would work w/ this controller so I can get some quickly, or at least the wiring type/size so I can give the mason some parameters.

Thanks in advance for any tips/adviceImage (2).jpgImage (25).png

Last edited:
Welcome to TFP.

The National Electrical Code (NEC) requires all underwater lighting to be certified to UL 676, the Standard for Underwater Luminaires and Submersible Junction Boxes. You cannot install any unlisted LED light strip in your pool and meet codes.

If you want lighted sheer descents then buy once and cry once and get the CMP lighted sheers.

Ok so disregard the submersible idea - these would be on the stones above the descents, not touching any water.

The unlit descents are already installed - I definitely don't want them lit bad enough to add another few thousand to the cost - just wondering if others had retrofitted lighting into a waterfall.

Ok so disregard the submersible idea - these would be on the stones above the descents, not touching any

NEC requires any pool or landscape light within 5 feet of the pool water to be listed and approved.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.