Adding controlled outlet, need gfci advice

Yes that's one problem of many.
I noticed your load side of the GFCI was connected to the input wire coming from the top of the box, and you have 2 neutrals to the line side. One goes to the relay panel, one comes from what looks like a 3 wire with ground. Looks like you have the black and Red wires paired from that romex.
Can't pair wires, unless they're 1/0 or larger I believe, and that's for service entry stuff.
Your ground is too small for all those wires. Pretty sure you're going to need separate grounds for each circuit from the work boxes.
You can't fill that small conduit with so many wires.
The ground wires in the panel need to be on separate terminals.
The white romex wires need to be colored or taped black when used for a leg of 240v.
Why is the purple wire to the panel connected to 120v paired inlet black and red hot wires?
Looks like a lot of burning going on behind that GFCI. Replace the GFCI.

I'm seriously considering packing it in and calling a pro.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I think that's the right call here. Electrical is one of those areas where if you can't visualize exactly what is needed in advance, you should probably hand it over to someone who can.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.