Adding chlorine

May 29, 2017
Detroit, mi
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I'm brand new to pool ownership. I've read through the site and recommendations. Given that I've ruined two outfits in the first week with liquid bleach splashes I'm thinking hard about using Trichlor tablets instead. I understand the reason for avoiding these is because the CYA builds up. Given that our pool is a seasonal one that will only be up for about three months of the year, would that really have time to build up to problematic levels?

Welcome!

Just take your clothes off when you add liquid chlorine - problem solved :cool:. If you keep your clothes on, you should be pouring VERY slow in front of a return to where there is no splash - it really shouldn't be an issue.

Regarding your question about the CYA build up for just a small time frame while your pool is open - it depends on how much you are using. Either way, I'd still steer you away from tabs/pucks, especially because your only reason at this point seems to be two ruined outfits. It's SO much easier to manage your chemicals when you have a grip on what you are adding - with bleach, you know you are only adding FC. Adding pucks, while you know how much your are adding of FC and CYA - it's two additions rather than one, plus you have to wait for both to dissolve. I said all of this in a very non-scientific manner, but hopefully you understand what I mean.

Use bleach and pour SLOWLY. At this point, you have 2 'bleach pouring outfits' any way - so why not just wear those clothes each time :D

For every 1ppm of FC added with a Trichlor puck, you will also add 0.6ppm of CYA.

Lets say that you start your pool season with the recommended minimum CYA of 30ppm. A clean pool will use about 2-4ppm of chlorine a day, so we will use a 3ppm average and say that each day will add 1.8ppm of CYA (3 x 0.6). In 30 days you will have added 54ppm to your starting CYA of 30ppm, and now be at 84ppm of CYA.

Even at a FC addition of 2ppm, that is 1.2ppm of CYA daily, 36ppm monthly.

If you pour slowly, and right at the surface of the water, there should be next to no splashing.

CYA can build up really fast, and it ends up a vicious downward spiral. You add FC via pucks which also raises CYA so you need to maintain higher FC so you add more pucks which also raises CYA so you need to maintain higher FC so you add more pucks which also raises CYA so you need to maintain higher FC so you add more pucks and so on and so on until you end up with a green slimy mess and a recommendation to drain.

Once the CYA is there, it is only goes by water loss or reverse osmosis. So the issue with tablets, is that unless you plan to change the water ever season, it won't be seasonal in terms of CYA level. And you end up getting into a problem of chasing a good free chlorine level. Because as CYA increases, you need a higher FC level, so you need to add pucks more often, which increase CYA more quickly, requiring you add even more pucks, ....

Do not use "low splash" or "scented" chlorine as these have things in it you do not want.

So there are options.

1) pour it into a bucket first, down the side, tilted, (not used for other things!!! this is important) and so when you pour in pool (or just lower into pool), should come out slower - or you can slight water down first.

If you really don't want to deal with it then other options:

2) get a liquid chlorine injection system ($$)

or

3) get a salt water chlorine generator ($$)

CYA can build up really fast, and it ends up a vicious downward spiral. You add FC via pucks which also raises CYA so you need to maintain higher FC so you add more pucks which also raises CYA so you need to maintain higher FC so you add more pucks which also raises CYA so you need to maintain higher FC so you add more pucks and so on and so on until you end up with a green slimy mess and a recommendation to drain.

This poem needs to be published somewhere. So much truth in so little words.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have found that by allowing the bottle to float a bit in the water then tip the bottle to pour it in slowly works best. As the bottle empties you can gauge how much your putting in because more of the bottle is above the water line.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.