Adding chemicals is not increasing my pool values

Ok guys, so it's been a few days. I'm still doing something wrong I think. So after doing the the weekly test on Saturday, these were my levels despite adding chlorine every day (this is just to give an example instead of listing every day's readings):

FC- 0
CC - 0
TC - 0
PH 7.5
TA - 70
CYA - 50

I added 140oz of bleach saturday morning after this test.

On Sunday morning I tested again. 0 chlorine across the board. I added 87oz because thats all I had left at the time.

Sunday night I checked it again, and just during the day that entire 87 oz was consumed. 0's across the board for chlorine. I added a 140oz again that puts me up to 7ppm after testing 30 min later.

This morning my chlorine is at like 1.5 FC and 0 CC. I don't understand how I am supposed to keep it above 3 ppm without adding chlorine every 4 hours. I am having to put in over a gallon of chlorine a day.

This is what I am adding:

View attachment 61737

** EDIT **
After doing some more reading, I think I need to slam the pool for a week based upon how much FC I'm losing each day. I'm also getting brownish spots of debris on the bottom of the pool which I assume is dead algae.

Last edited:
I think you are on the right track thinking about doing a SLAM. There is something very hungry in your pool. It sounds like you are staying one step ahead of it right now. Lets get it GONE!

Have you taken the steps out and cleaned them?

Kim:kim:

I followed the steps in the tf-100 exactly, so assuming their chemicals work, I'm fairly confident. I can do it again to see if I reach the same number.

The CYA test is far and away the hardest to get right. Try it in different lighting conditions and see what the lowest reading you get is. Even then, your eyes will play tricks on you.

** EDIT **
After doing some more reading, I think I need to slam the pool for a week based upon how much FC I'm losing each day. I'm also getting brownish spots of debris on the bottom of the pool which I assume is dead algae.

Just to clarify this part, there is no set timeframe that you perform a SLAM. It may take a week, it may take less and it could take more. A SLAM is performed indefinitely until you pass the three criteria.

*** UPDATE ***

So I started the SLAM on the 23rd. The first few days the chlorine was getting consumed FAST. Like 6ppm in a few hours! But the last 2 days it has really tapered off.

I have a question about the pool calculator. I noticed that, for instance, last night my FC was at 16 and my CC was at .5. From the chart showing what your shock level should be due to CYA level, it said 20, so the calculator said to put in 91oz of 8.3% liquid chlorine to bring me up to 20. I checked the water an hour later (with pump running), and my FC was 17.5 and my CC was 0. Curious that I only went up 1ppm? Have you guys ever had inconsistent results with the calculator?

This morning I checked the water again and my FC was still 17.5 and the CC was 0. The water is clear so I think my SLAM is done.

*** UPDATE ***

So I started the SLAM on the 23rd. The first few days the chlorine was getting consumed FAST. Like 6ppm in a few hours! But the last 2 days it has really tapered off.

I have a question about the pool calculator. I noticed that, for instance, last night my FC was at 16 and my CC was at .5. From the chart showing what your shock level should be due to CYA level, it said 20, so the calculator said to put in 91oz of 8.3% liquid chlorine to bring me up to 20. I checked the water an hour later (with pump running), and my FC was 17.5 and my CC was 0. Curious that I only went up 1ppm? Have you guys ever had inconsistent results with the calculator?

This morning I checked the water again and my FC was still 17.5 and the CC was 0. The water is clear so I think my SLAM is done.

I have found that the calculator is extremely accurate. There are several other factors though that can cause the issue such as: bleach has lost strength, your pool estimate is off, margin of error in testing. I always add a little extra to try and compensate for all the exta variables that could be off. I would rather shoot a little too high than a little too low, except for when I add stabilizer.

Also, if you're at shock level you lose a lot of chlorine fast if the sun is out (even with no algae). The rate obviously slows down once you get to your normal FC range that is based on your cya level.

I have found that the calculator is extremely accurate. There are several other factors though that can cause the issue such as: bleach has lost strength, your pool estimate is off, margin of error in testing. I always add a little extra to try and compensate for all the exta variables that could be off. I would rather shoot a little too high than a little too low, except for when I add stabilizer.

Also, if you're at shock level you lose a lot of chlorine fast if the sun is out (even with no algae). The rate obviously slows down once you get to your normal FC range that is based on your cya level.

That is a good point. I should do a full range of tests again.

Thanks for that last little tidbit. You probably saved me some panicking if my chlorine was getting eaten up as I ease off the SLAM.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.