Adding Baja Shelf to existing Pool - Scottsdale AZ

Aug 16, 2011
Just bought a new house with a less then spectacular pool.

How difficult is it to add a baja shelf, let's say 10 x 20 to an existing pool where the pool would be expanded and give the pool a larger feel? Obviously the existing structure would need to be compromised, then we would like the shelf to expand beyond where the pool is and further into the patio area with about 8" of depth, room for lounge chairs and umbrella with bubblers and leds for the shelf.

Any advice appreciated!

Wow, I would think that would be a very big (and costly) job as you have to cut through the bond beam.

Interested to see what others with direct experience have to say.

Pics would be cool!

i would think cutting through the beam would be no problem. I have seen doors cut in 12 inch thick concrete foundations with ease.

Now here is something to consider. From what I have learned now is that gunite takes cold joints much better than shotcrete so that is a conversation to have. Cold joint meaning adding new material to old material.

when we did our Baja step I asked regarding making the Baja step outward they said 8-10k because they will have to basically chip away all the way down into the floor at least 4ft and 4ft into the surrounding side walls in order to attach the rebar to the structure properly and for things to be structurally sound and then will have to reform the bond beam around the Baja step. We paid $3500 for it to be done using the existing steps and 3 ft into the pool which wasn't much in the long run and worked out great for us. It can be done the way you want it but will take more work and engineering.

From what I'm hearing adding a pool shelf may not be a reasonable project for us. This pool is pretty small, but don't want a massive expense right now.

I'm on a premium lot so I do what a bit of wow factor in this little pool... Does this sound reasonable? Any suggestions for this pool project is appreciated. Right now the pool is quite blah!

- Paver overlay on entire patio and cool deck and new pool overlay coping.
- New glass tile on water feature and entire pool surround.
- Gas fire pots on the first step of the water feature. (Gas line nearby) (just a thought)...

IMO pool tile would probably be the most bang for your buck. Not sure if this can be done without ruining your interior finish.

Honestly if you pour a few bottles of chlorine in the pool that would go a long way :cool:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.