Ontario
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)

Has anyone added a timer on a Pool Heat Pump before?

My understanding is that heat pumps work more efficiently when it's hotter outside. Right now my heater tends to come on at night when it's sometime as low as 8c (which is no surprise as the pool temp is dropping). It will run for 12 hours and turn off as the air is getting warmer during the day. Would it not be better to have a timer on that only allows it to run between 10am - 8pm when the air is warmest? I only need a few hours of run time during the day to get the heat back up to where I want it.

I was thinking about something like one of theses:

DEWENWILS Outdoor Smart Wi-Fi Outlet Box, Heavy Duty 40A 120VAC 2HP Wireless Controller Timer Switch for Pool Water Heater

I didn't install a timer on my previous pool with a heat pump. What I did was control the pool pump speed to turn the heat pump on and off. The needed RPM speed for the SWG to run was lower than the needed RPM speed for the heat pump. So during the night and early morning times when the air temperature was lower, I would run the pool pump at a speed where the SWG was operating but the heat pump would not. Then the pool pump speed was increased enough for the heat pump to come on.

I didn't install a timer on my previous pool with a heat pump. What I did was control the pool pump speed to turn the heat pump on and off. The needed RPM speed for the SWG to run was lower than the needed RPM speed for the heat pump. So during the night and early morning times when the air temperature was lower, I would run the pool pump at a speed where the SWG was operating but the heat pump would not. Then the pool pump speed was increased enough for the heat pump to come on.
Now that is something that I did not think about. I also have VS pump and SWG. I'm going to go give that I try!

Now that is something that I did not think about. I also have VS pump and SWG. I'm going to go give that I try!

You want to wait until one of the experts here chimes in. What I was doing may not be recommended for some reason I didn't consider.

Reactions: Diverdavis