Adding a Return.......Or Main Drain problem???

Re: Adding a Return.......

Okay I did some searching...

If you put some red dye in a syringe, and release it within a 1/4 inch of the bottom drain, if the drain is open the dye should flow into the bottom drain. The water needs to be relatively calm so watch your movements. This means you'll have to get in to do this, not sure if your water temps are condusive to this.

If there is a better way to test it I'm sure someone will offer it.

In the skimmer with the 2 holes, I think the one you don't attach the vacume to that might be where the bottom drain goes to....

JasonLion said:
In the skimmer, under the skimmer basket, is there one pipe or two?

I went out this morning and checked the holes under the skimmer basket. As I said last night, we do have two holes there. Front one no suction, smaller second hole has suction.

frustratedpoolmom said:
I have a cart filter and my water is crystal clear - buying a new DE filter is not necessarily the solution.

If the deep end isn't getting adequate circulation, the type of filter media isn't going to fix that.

A robot vacume is a good suggestion -

The pool build experts will be along shortly to advise about the bottom drain. Hang in there....

I knew the fur would start to fly about the DE vs Cartridge. posting.php?mode=quote&f=5&p=106582#
:party:

How often do you clean your cartridge? Do you soak in cleaners and then muriatic acid bath too?

The cartridge system works if it properly and fully maintained on a timely manner. Regardless the DE systems have the best reputation and have been proven for years. (jab, jab, poke, poke, pulling chain even more)

girlgeekFL said:
JasonLion said:
In the skimmer, under the skimmer basket, is there one pipe or two?

I went out this morning and checked the holes under the skimmer basket. As I said last night, we do have two holes there. Front one no suction, smaller second hole has suction.
Is this a usual design? I too wondered if our diving well drain worked. It seems to keep leaves over the grate and isn't dusty around the opening. Is there any reason to connect it directly to the suction opening within the overflow box?

mtbarr64 said:
frustratedpoolmom said:
I have a cart filter and my water is crystal clear - buying a new DE filter is not necessarily the solution.

If the deep end isn't getting adequate circulation, the type of filter media isn't going to fix that.

A robot vacume is a good suggestion -

The pool build experts will be along shortly to advise about the bottom drain. Hang in there....

I knew the fur would start to fly about the DE vs Cartridge. posting.php?mode=quote&f=5&p=106582#
:party:

How often do you clean your cartridge? Do you soak in cleaners and then muriatic acid bath too?

The cartridge system works if it properly and fully maintained on a timely manner. Regardless the DE systems have the best reputation and have been proven for years. (jab, jab, poke, poke, pulling chain even more)

mtbarr64 said:

I usually hose off my cart once around early August, as my heater will stop working, it's more sensitive about the filter being dirty than my pressure gauge. Don't usually soak it. And then we clean it again before winterizing. I've only "soaked" it once in the detergent solution Evan recommended, this past Fall. In the past we just hosed it off...I'm on my second cart, 8 seasons with the pool.

Never had a filtering problem, despite not following protocol (up till recently didn't know there was a protocol! :mrgreen: )

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.