Adding a bit of solar, worth it or waste of effort?

MHillyer

Jan 19, 2023
Atlanta
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
Hi All, I have a 25K gallon salt water pool, and I've been looking at solar. Only challenge is the pool equipment is at the back of the yard, far from the house, so I'm not looking at rooftop. I have about 24 feet of well exposed fenceline that I was thinking I could place panels on, close to the pool equipment, and hook it into my plumbing with relative ease. I have a Hayward Omni PL controller that appears to have support for solar.

Question is: the panels I'm looking at are four feet wide, which means in the end I'm adding around 96 sqft of solar heating. With my pool being 800sqft surface area and my reading suggesting a 1:1 ratio the prevailing logic says it's maybe not enough. That said, I'm not looking to replace my gas heater, just augment it a bit during the day so I need less gas use on a day where I just need it to come up a few degrees.

Also, my Omni PL has four valves, which appears to be the limit, is there an expansion option for the PL? Otherwise I have a valve that balances my waterfall/slide that I could see using manually since those two are not turned on that often.

At most, 94 sq-ft of panels will add about 1F to the pool per day. The average net temperature gain will be more than that over a couple of days but probably less than 3F total net gain.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.