Addendum to non recommended products?

Please explain to me what you mean by bonding your intex pool. Doesn't intex aslo sell SWCG units for specifically for intex pools albeit smaller capacity units.?
Permanent pools must be bonded. Essentially all concrete/gunite, metal, equipment, and the ground around the pool must all be connected with a bonding grid of wire. Storable pools such as Intex pools are exempted from this bonding requirement. They have a few other safety requirements for equipment that permanent pools do not have because of this bonding exemption. If you use equipment that rated for permanent pools on a storable pool, the pool is now considered permanent and must be bonded as a permanent pool.

Yes, Intex does make SWCG specifically for Intex pools. However they don't have a reputation for lasting long, and the output is minimal, likely requiring almost 24/7 pump running to produce enough chlorine, which would be wasteful. The use of the Intex SWCG would not require my pool to be bonded, since it is designed for storable pools. However if I got a SWCG I'd really like to follow the oversize guidelines recommended by TFP members and get a big beefy unit that would only require 3-6 hours of running a day and which would last 5-7 years before electrode replacement. None of these units are made for storable pools though.

Reactions: cowboycasey
I have an Intex pool with all in ground equipment including the SWG.. I have all my equipment and pool bonded just like an in ground pool.. @jseyfert3 my SJ45 cell lasted 8 years and really still has some life in it.. :)

Reactions: jseyfert3
Permanent pools must be bonded. Essentially all concrete/gunite, metal, equipment, and the ground around the pool must all be connected with a bonding grid of wire. Storable pools such as Intex pools are exempted from this bonding requirement. They have a few other safety requirements for equipment that permanent pools do not have because of this bonding exemption. If you use equipment that rated for permanent pools on a storable pool, the pool is now considered permanent and must be bonded as a permanent pool.

Yes, Intex does make SWCG specifically for Intex pools. However they don't have a reputation for lasting long, and the output is minimal, likely requiring almost 24/7 pump running to produce enough chlorine, which would be wasteful. The use of the Intex SWCG would not require my pool to be bonded, since it is designed for storable pools. However if I got a SWCG I'd really like to follow the oversize guidelines recommended by TFP members and get a big beefy unit that would only require 3-6 hours of running a day and which would last 5-7 years before electrode replacement. None of these units are made for storable pools though.
Ok, I think I understand the grounding part which means attaching a grounding wire to all electrically conductive parts. According to the NEC, non conductive components do not need to be grounded.
(1) Conductive Pool Shells.
"Bonding to conductive pool shells shall be provided as specified in 680.26(B)(1)(a) or (B)(1)(b).
Poured concrete, pneumatically applied or sprayed concrete, and concrete block with painted or plastered coatings shall all be considered
conductive materials due to water permeability and porosity. Vinyl liners and fiberglass composite shells shall be considered to be nonconductive materials."

Ok, I think I understand the grounding part which means attaching a grounding wire to all electrically conductive parts. According to the NEC, non conductive components do not need to be grounded.
"Bonding to conductive pool shells shall be provided as specified in 680.26(B)(1)(a) or (B)(1)(b).
Poured concrete, pneumatically applied or sprayed concrete, and concrete block with painted or plastered coatings shall all be considered
conductive materials due to water permeability and porosity. Vinyl liners and fiberglass composite shells shall be considered to be nonconductive materials."
Yes, the vinyl liner is not conductive, but my Intex pool has 56 metal supports, half vertical, half horizontal. They are all connected by plastic joints, not joined like on a hard-walled permanent pool. According to my electrical inspector, all would have to be connected to the ground bonding grid...a somewhat laborious undertaking.

I was still planning on doing it, then upgrading our pump and adding a heater, but then the barn our camper and boat were stored in burned down, and we decided to put our money to a new (upgraded) camper instead of upgrading the pool this year. So maybe next year...

conductive materials due to water permeability and porosity. Vinyl liners and fiberglass composite shells shall be considered to be nonconductive materials.
Yes, the vinyl liner is not conductive, but my Intex pool has 56 metal supports, half vertical, half horizontal. They are all connected by plastic joints, not joined like on a hard-walled permanent pool. According to my electrical inspector, all would have to be connected to the ground bonding grid...a somewhat laborious undertaking.

I was still planning on doing it, then upgrading our pump and adding a heater, but then the barn our camper and boat were stored in burned down, and we decided to put our money to a new (upgraded) camper instead of upgrading the pool this year. So maybe next year...
A couple of my experiences with "inspectors"
I wanted to add a lighting fixture in my yard. And according to the code, I can use direct burial wire, which I bougt (no conduit required). There is always some yard work being done so I decided to stick the direct buriel wire in conduit.(This is over and above the code). The "inspector" then said I cannot put direct burial cable in conduit and he made me take it out. Then I put regular wiring in the conduit, and he apporved it. However, the conduit was thin wall conduit which is not supposed to be burried and now I am actually in violation of the code.

On another occasion an inspector deemed that my ground(earth)wire in the breaker box needed to be replaced because of cracking insulation (!!!). For good measure I had it done by an electrician who replaced that wire with a BARE wire.....Approved.

So draw your conclusion about these "inspectors"

I worked for forty years on electronic medical equipment where code requirements are a little more stringent than swimming pools., and which are semi-annually inspected by state inspectors, who can shut a medical center down.

I’m not sure about direct burial wire in conduit. NM (romex) can be run in conduit, with some exceptions, but the fill calculation must be done with the width of the cable as the diameter of a circular wire. But NM cannot be used in wet areas, and I don’t know what code says about direct burial cable in a conduit. It could be directly banned, or it could be it exceeded the fill of the conduit. The really question is why would you ever put direct burial wire in a conduit? The advantage of direct burial cable is, well, the direct burial aspect. Trench, lay, fill, done. If you are ever going through the trouble to put a conduit, always put THHN/THWN wires through it. They are designed to pull through conduit, you can fit way more and easily add/replace later with no additional trenching. This is how I did my pool. Well, I hired an electrician. I had an Intex pool that just needed one outlet so I could have done direct burial. But I decided that was silly. I dug the trench myself then hired an electrician to lay conduit and wire up a pair of outlets on two circuits. The conduit is big enough to easily pull an extra 2-3 circuits or more through it. Now when I upgrade to a permanent pool and add more equipment I can easily add more circuits as required.

As to cracked insulation on a ground wire, that does not make any sense to me. Inspectors can of course always be wrong.

I’m not sure about direct burial wire in conduit. NM (romex) can be run in conduit, with some exceptions, but the fill calculation must be done with the width of the cable as the diameter of a circular wire. But NM cannot be used in wet areas, and I don’t know what code says about direct burial cable in a conduit. It could be directly banned, or it could be it exceeded the fill of the conduit. The really question is why would you ever put direct burial wire in a conduit? The advantage of direct burial cable is, well, the direct burial aspect. Trench, lay, fill, done. If you are ever going through the trouble to put a conduit, always put THHN/THWN wires through it. They are designed to pull through conduit, you can fit way more and easily add/replace later with no additional trenching. This is how I did my pool. Well, I hired an electrician. I had an Intex pool that just needed one outlet so I could have done direct burial. But I decided that was silly. I dug the trench myself then hired an electrician to lay conduit and wire up a pair of outlets on two circuits. The conduit is big enough to easily pull an extra 2-3 circuits or more through it. Now when I upgrade to a permanent pool and add more equipment I can easily add more circuits as required.

As to cracked insulation on a ground wire, that does not make any sense to me. Inspectors can of course always be wrong.
I put direct burial wire in conduit because I already bought it and because of frequent yard work with replanting and digging involved I deemed it safer to use an extra precaution. The reason why the "inspector" made me take it out is because he's an idiot.. And the other inspector who made me replace a earthing wire because of cracked insulation is another idiot.

and I don’t know what code says about direct burial cable in a conduit. It could be directly banned, or it could be it exceeded the fill of the conduit. The really question is why would you ever put direct burial wire in a conduit? The advantage of direct burial cable is, well, the direct burial aspect
Looking it up recently for another application that was mostly exposed above ground it appeared to be legal. The stipulations were that it needed to be buried for cooling purposes as the air in the conduit wouldn’t allow the normal cooling. For metal conduit it had to be buried 6 inches and for PVC it was 18 inches.

Reactions: mouse23
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.