Addendum to non recommended products?

Jun 11, 2013
Sun Valley, California
I have been reading the post on cya/clorine levels (Chlorine / CYA Chart - Trouble Free Pool)
followed with reading the post at
(Non-Recommended Pool Chemicals - Trouble Free Pool ,) about non recomended pool products.

I have been using chlorine tablets which contain among other things, sunlight protectors which I presume is CYA. Then I went to the store and got a CYA test kit. My pool CYA level was about 120.!!

If these tablets indeed contain CYA, isn't it a trap to make one buy more and more chlorine? Something like addictive additives in cigarettes to make you smoke more and more until you die?

It may seem like a trap but it really is a simple misunderstanding of pool water chemistry and not knowing what is actually being added to the water when we add chemicals.
TFP educates pool and spa owners so they can take control of their water chemistry and understand how to maintain your expensive equipment. It's a bit more complicated than many new pool owners realize but not as complicated or difficult to manage as pool stores or weekly pool services make it out to be. Every pool is unique so type and location are critical to developing a safe and cost effective sanitation program that works. Education and self testing is key and oh so rewarding. :cheers:

If these tablets indeed contain CYA, isn't it a trap to make one buy more and more chlorine?
I honestly think that many pool store techs don't even realize it. They do or say what the printout suggests, completely oblivious to the FC/CYA relationship. "You need FC ... grab some bags of shock or tabs". Two months later, "Oh, you need to change your water". :brickwall:

It may seem like a trap but it really is a simple misunderstanding of pool water chemistry and not knowing what is actually being added to the water when we add chemicals.
TFP educates pool and spa owners so they can take control of their water chemistry and understand how to maintain your expensive equipment. It's a bit more complicated than many new pool owners realize but not as complicated or difficult to manage as pool stores or weekly pool services make it out to be. Every pool is unique so type and location are critical to developing a safe and cost effective sanitation program that works. Education and self testing is key and oh so rewarding. :cheers:

This "simple misunderstanding" as you call it may be prevalent in possibly millions of pool owners, who do not subscribe to TFP. This resulting in millions of pools being emptied (possibly)repeatedly just because of that. Not exactly a desirable practice, specially in California. And so easily avoidable....Not to mention the inconvenience and waste of money. I put this product on my list of not to buy ever again.

Reactions: Oly
Not to mention the inconvenience and waste of money. I put this product on my list of not to buy ever again.
Many here, including myself, who don’t have a SWCG will use tablets in a floater while on vacation. They are not inherently evil in and of themselves, if the relationship between CYA and FC is known which precludes their use as the sole source of FC then they do serve a purpose still from time to time.

They are not inherently evil in and of themselves, if the relationship between CYA and FC is known which precludes their use as the sole source of FC then they do serve a purpose still from time to time.
:goodpost: Exactly correct, and well stated.
There are areas around the word where Trichlor, Dichlor and CAHypo work. Areas with short swim seasons, high rainfall, inexpensive good quality water and small pools that are easily and efficiently drained.
Another important consideration of your sanitation plan is its effect on pH, CH and NaCl over time.

Many here, including myself, who don’t have a SWCG will use tablets in a floater while on vacation. They are not inherently evil in and of themselves, if the relationship between CYA and FC is known which precludes their use as the sole source of FC then they do serve a purpose still from time to time.
The crux in your reply lies in " IF the relationship between CYA and FC is known..." A BIG IF. When using those tablets that contain CYA, even if you use it while going on vacation, do you test your CYA when you come back? Isn't easier to buy tablets that don't contain CYA? And by the way
And as for " There are areas around the word where Trichlor, Dichlor and CAHypo work. Areas with short swim seasons, high rainfall, inexpensive good quality water and small pools that are easily and efficiently drained.".....
Draining and filling the pool takes you at least all day. Don't you have better things to do ?

I have been reading the post on cya/clorine levels (Chlorine / CYA Chart - Trouble Free Pool)
followed with reading the post at
(Non-Recommended Pool Chemicals - Trouble Free Pool ,) about non recomended pool products.

I have been using chlorine tablets which contain among other things, sunlight protectors which I presume is CYA. Then I went to the store and got a CYA test kit. My pool CYA level was about 120.!!

If these tablets indeed contain CYA, isn't it a trap to make one buy more and more chlorine? Something like addictive additives in cigarettes to make you smoke more and more until you die?

YOU NOW UNDERSTAND MY MEMBER NAME! I do believe there is some lack of knowledge in the industry, but I actually think, because people want "quick and easy," the tabs are quick and easy, and lead to the sale of lots of unnecessary product that make a number of people a bunch of money, they keep the charade going. I don't think..."you need to test your water and add liquid chlorine daily" will fly with the public. Just my 2 cents.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The crux in your reply lies in " IF the relationship between CYA and FC is known..." A BIG IF. When using those tablets that contain CYA, even if you use it while going on vacation, do you test your CYA when you come back? Isn't easier to buy tablets that don't contain CYA?
Again the best thing would be a SWCG, but with my Intex pool that’s a bit difficult (except for the rather undersized Intex SWCG).

Yes you have to account for the CYA added. Somewhat regular testing is needed, as CYA reduces if you backwash, splash out, or otherwise drain the pool. It also naturally breaks down over time. If you know what the CYA is before you leave, and you know how much trichlor you add, PoolMath can tell you how much CYA the trichlor added.

And yes the crux is the relationship between FC and CYA, but this isn’t well known outside of TFP.

Again the best thing would be a SWCG, but with my Intex pool that’s a bit difficult (except for the rather undersized Intex SWCG).

Yes you have to account for the CYA added. Somewhat regular testing is needed, as CYA reduces if you backwash, splash out, or otherwise drain the pool. It also naturally breaks down over time. If you know what the CYA is before you leave, and you know how much trichlor you add, PoolMath can tell you how much CYA the trichlor added.

And yes the crux is the relationship between FC and CYA, but this isn’t well known outside of TFP.
I have been there done that with the swcg. It was very expensive to install, it behaves very temperamental, necessitating me to double check if it was functioning properly, cleaning the elements periodically, And element replacement is very expensive. Bottom line. NOT WORTH THE TROUBLE.

YOU NOW UNDERSTAND MY MEMBER NAME! I do believe there is some lack of knowledge in the industry, but I actually think, because people want "quick and easy," the tabs are quick and easy, and lead to the sale of lots of unnecessary product that make a number of people a bunch of money, they keep the charade going. I don't think..."you need to test your water and add liquid chlorine daily" will fly with the public. Just my 2 cents.
Exactly. ! (And test the CYA level in addition to FC, PH, etc.)

Last edited:
There are none. They do make compressed calcium hypochlorite, but they dissolve quite quickly.
Thanks for the tip. I have been considering utilizing an old chemical injector I still have from a previous job. Actually, any tiny water pump from ebay and a timer will work. Then empirically metering the daily volume required and plumb it in with 1/4" pvc tubing. Hoping to eliminate another little chore.

I have been there done that with the swcg. It was very expensive to install, it behaves very temperamental, necessitating me to double check if it was functioning properly, cleaning the elements periodically, And element replacement is very expensive. Bottom line. NOT WORTH THE TROUBLE.
I would disagree on that. My comment on the SWCG for my Intex is because if I add one other than an Intex one, I have to bond my pool, not an easy job on a pool not designed to be bonded. But I have a SWCG on my hot tub. I absolutely, 100% love it. It maintains the FC between uses for me. I've never had to double check if it was functioning, and I've never had to clean the elements either. If it dies I will order a new one that day. And I once we upgrade to a permanent pool I will add a SWCG to it, because it will be amazing.

Reactions: mknauss
I would disagree on that. My comment on the SWCG for my Intex is because if I add one other than an Intex one, I have to bond my pool, not an easy job on a pool not designed to be bonded. But I have a SWCG on my hot tub. I absolutely, 100% love it. It maintains the FC between uses for me. I've never had to double check if it was functioning, and I've never had to clean the elements either. If it dies I will order a new one that day. And I once we upgrade to a permanent pool I will add a SWCG to it, because it will be amazing.
If you can't use the SWCG on your intex pool, try the BBB method. That is what I did and it was an eye opener. Fantastic. My aforementioned CYA experience messed it up Once that is corrected I will restore the BBB method.

If you can't use the SWCG on your intex pool, try the BBB method. That is what I did and it was an eye opener. Fantastic. My aforementioned CYA experience messed it up Once that is corrected I will restore the BBB method.
Indeed I’ve been following the TFPC method since we got our pool last year. The water has looked like this throughout both swim seasons:
full

Please explain to me what you mean by bonding your intex pool. Doesn't intex aslo sell SWCG units for specifically for intex pools albeit smaller capacity units.?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.